Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Causes of Global warming/climate change

Is this the problem?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE-for-OWID.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	11197

Sorry, I know it is a boring subject, but I wonder if anyone considered this at the recent conference?

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

VoidMaster

Default Re: Causes of Global warming/climate change

Yep, absolutely the problem is over-population in many parts of the world (not New Zealand that's why I'm here) and as I have posted before, the problem has it's own cure but it won't be a happy one.

Good luck to us all.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Is this the problem?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE-for-OWID.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	11197

Sorry, I know it is a boring subject, but I wonder if anyone considered this at the recent conference?

Ken
    I wonder who did the census in 10,000 BCE and found there were 4,000,000 people living it up.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

VoidMaster

A good question B.M. I think it's called projecting B.M., one can project backwards or forwards in time if one has a period of data collection which is known to be good (valid), as we do in recent times.

I remember a statistic which is that there are more people who are alive today than have ever lived in the entire history of man on Earth going backwards in time from the 1950's.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 15-11-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

I think it's well known that population growth is the source of a lot of problems and a big factor in our effect on the climate, but it's also one problem nobody is willing to tackle. One sure way to get voted out of office is to tell people how many kids they are allowed, and that's the mildest option.
    Also the economy of most countries relies on growth and we all know the economy drives decision making more than any environmental issue does.

As a species we are pretty short sighted, myself included. I know I won't be here long enough to get too worked up about it. I might feel different if I had kids.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

The Chinese government who Jacinda is using as a role model restricted how many kids the population could have for years and they are still in power.

Logans Run?

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Is this the problem?

Ken
    Well, yes, but the problem is not so much the number of people but what those people (i.e. us) are doing.

We need to remember that the actions that led to the present situation were, by and large, carried out in good faith. No one set out to wreck the environment, but using coal, oil and gas as energy sources was seen as offering huge benefits to society. Industrial development, labour-saving devices, warm homes, the ability to travel the world were all things people wanted to have when they were offered to them. Around the turn of the 20th century the possibility of "conquering nature" was seen as one of the highest human achievements. In the late 19th century a few tentative questions were raised, but easily dismissed.

It was during the 20th century, as we began to learn how our planet actually works, that the realisation grew that we were headed for trouble. But by then we were so accustomed to the benefits of our technology that the idea of questioning it seemed unthinkable. So, here we are...

VoidMaster

Yeah infinite flat earth thinking on a small planet. Not exactly smart and encouraged by the corporations to all of our detriment for their short term profit, this was warned about from the last part of the last century but no-one had enough control to do anything meaningful.

HERE is a guy who understands the situation.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.