Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Default They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    It is heard on the television news most days. It is spelt whak but what they say is f*ck, as in f*ckahpupu (whakapapa.)

    TVNZ have popularised this pronunciation over the past year or so, but how do they get away with saying f*ck just because it is supposed to be maori?

    It has been said many times on this forum that there is no f in maori and that is certainly what I was taught at school in the 60s. But it seems that TVNZ have put themselves up as experts in maori pronunciation and such is their influence that everybody (except me at least) is copying them and saying f*ck.

    It has also be said on this forum that because the maoris had no written languague the colonists wrote it down for them and they wrote it as they heard it. Surely if they had heard f*ck they would have written f*ck but no, they did not - they wrote whak with the wh pronounced as in what, where and when.

    So where does TVNZ get their pronunciation from? They just should not be allowed to get away with saying f*ck on television. Anyone else would have it bleeped out.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    Rosco you have put into words what I have known for years. The Wh can easily be pronounced correctly with a little practice. Have always said if those who created the maori alphabet had heard an f they would have put it in the maori alphabet.

  3. #3
    Old dick-head
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    between Lower Hutt & Carterton
    Posts
    1,234

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    I was always told that "wh" was meant to be pronounced like a "windy W"

  4. #4
    Soaring like an Eagle gary67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a field in Hanmer
    Posts
    14,963

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    I was always told that "wh" was meant to be pronounced like a "windy W"
    Is that windy as in blowing or windy as in the windy road?

  5. #5
    Senior Member piroska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    With Kim-Jong-Mum
    Posts
    3,593

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    Well I've heard **** on Tv plenty and not the Whuck thing either.
    Ex-pctek

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    370

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    TVNZ has used the Ngapuhi dialect. In the Wanganui region they use Wh (not F). In the South Island for Mt Cook some dialects say Aorangi and others Aoraki.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Paul.Cov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,766

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    It's OK to say it the way they have done. It's just not OK to grin or giggle when you say it.

  8. #8
    Computer "Specialist" Agent_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    64 Bitville
    Posts
    14,409

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    It is heard on the television news most days. It is spelt whak but what they say is f*ck, as in f*ckahpupu (whakapapa.)

    TVNZ have popularised this pronunciation over the past year or so, but how do they get away with saying f*ck just because it is supposed to be maori?
    Oh for Pete's sake. It's a different language. The same sound perhaps but completely different intention and meaning, therefore your argument is irrelevant.

    There are words in English that sound rude in other languages...
    https://www.afar.com/magazine/10-eng...ther-languages

    Quote Originally Posted by Colpol View Post
    Have always said if those who created the maori alphabet had heard an f they would have put it in the maori alphabet.
    Would they though? Perhaps they changed it to Wh, to avoid the "it sounds like f*ck" problem. Remember, history is written by the victors and is not always accurate. I'm not an expert in Maori language history, but I imagine such a thing is possible. Worse has been done to other cultures by Western settlers.
    Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready.

  9. #9
    Senior Member baabits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    too far away
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_24 View Post
    Would they though? Perhaps they changed it to Wh, to avoid the "it sounds like f*ck" problem. Remember, history is written by the victors and is not always accurate. I'm not an expert in Maori language history, but I imagine such a thing is possible. Worse has been done to other cultures by Western settlers.
    Roscoe is correct about the original pronounciation but the point is moot. The F sound has over time integrated itself in to modern Maori to the point where we were even taught it being the correct way to say it in kura kaupapa and it's accepted by the vast majority as correct pronounciation.

    Obviously Roscoe's comparison to f*ck is ridiculous but we're talking about the guy who used Simon Dallow speaking Maori and it annoying him as an excuse to call Maori a caveman language. You can't expect much more from this drama queen other than being a constant prick.

    Perhaps instead of finding random things to continuously moan about on TVNZ you might consider finding a different channel to watch or different place to get your news if it annoys you so much? Preferably one where they don't speak Maori so some of us don't have to listen to your ridiculous rants.

  10. #10

    Default Re: They should not be allowed to say f*ck on television news

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_24 View Post
    Oh for Pete's sake. It's a different language. The same sound perhaps but completely different intention and meaning, therefore your argument is irrelevant.

    There are words in English that sound rude in other languages...
    https://www.afar.com/magazine/10-eng...ther-languages



    Would they though? Perhaps they changed it to Wh, to avoid the "it sounds like f*ck" problem. Remember, history is written by the victors and is not always accurate. I'm not an expert in Maori language history, but I imagine such a thing is possible. Worse has been done to other cultures by Western settlers.
    That is TVNZ's idea of how it should be pronounced. Perhaps you did not read the previous posts in this thread and other threads, so I will repeat it for you.

    Firstly, the maoris had no written languague so the colonists wrote it down for them. They wrote it down as they heard it. They did not write f*ck for two reasons. Not because it is a naughty word. They wrote down Whak, pronounced just as you see it. Wh as in what, where and when. (I'm in my 70s and have heard it pronounced that way all that time.) They did not pronounce the a as a u because they heard a so they wrote down a. Secondly, they did not hear wh as f as they did not hear f. Read the previous posts again! They state that the maoris do not have an f in their languague. So you are right. It is a different tongue. But the pronunciation seems to be something that TVNZ has dreamed up. It's not correct! It's not what the colonists heard so it's not what they wrote down. Got that?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

    Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Similar Threads

  1. Television on the go
    By Nomad in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
  2. Not allowed
    By hyltonnh in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM
  3. WHICH LCD TELEVISION TO BUY?
    By brig in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
  4. SKY Television
    By Hitech in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-03-2006, 10:01 PM
  5. how much ram am I allowed
    By jimdickin in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •