Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: YOU WILL LEARN MAORI!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    IHow come I have not seen a Maori newspaper? Surely some Maori organisations should be creating one to promote Te Reo. There ae Chinese ones and Indian ones created by those ethnic communities.
    Very true. And a few years ago I did continuity announcing for Access Community Radio and for a small fee you could broadcast a programme on any subject in any tongue. When I was there they had programmes in 45 different languagues, none of them maori. That speaks volumes. They just don't seem interested.

But no. Why should they make an effort when the government is prepared to throw millions at them.

I'm a white boy. I'm on a pension so I don't have a big income, but it seems that I am the wrong colour, because to receive any benefits I need to be almost destitute. I have put aside funds to invest for my old age and it is a good thing that I have as I am not eligible for any handouts and that counts against me when I am wanting to access services. But, of course, if you are of the brown persuasion you have no worries - the government will look after you. It's racism in reverse.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Senior

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    There are alternatives to TVOne news. I haven't watched it in ages, I read news online all day so there's nothing new.

If you must watch news, as I said, plenty of alternatives.
    You just like to perpetuate your anti-brown racism.
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    You just like to perpetuate your anti-brown racism.
    You have it all wrong! I am not against maori. What I am against is the government giving them privileges that no one else has. The moaris receive millions and the rest of us have to work for a living. On the whole, I think they are lovely people, but as far as the government is concerned, it's racism in reverse.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Bleakly Optomistic

To me it's just like a form of slang I've slowly learnt over the years, bastardizing the English language. I'm just glad they don't use our third national language instead, I'd be even more clueless and likely to misinterpret

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    I'm just glad they don't use our third national language instead, I'd be even more clueless and likely to misinterpret
    Quite agree! Then you might have a chap like this one doing it!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ndela-memorial

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    You have it all wrong! I am not against maori. What I am against is the government giving them privileges that no one else has. The moaris receive millions and the rest of us have to work for a living. On the whole, I think they are lovely people, but as far as the government is concerned, it's racism in reverse.
    I dont have a problem with maori (or any minority) receiving handouts, but they have to show that money is being used wisely and all the handouts are making a difference .
    eg, stop killing your babies, stop stealing (from other maori) , stop wasting the money we give you .

want money for te reo , then show us stats that the majority of maori are making the effort to learn it .
    why do we give millions to prop up a language the majority of Maori really dont care about ?

Bleakly Optomistic

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I dont have a problem with maori (or any minority) receiving handouts, but they have to show that money is being used wisely and all the handouts are making a difference .
    eg, stop killing your babies, stop stealing (from other maori) , stop wasting the money we give you .

want money for te reo , then show us stats that the majority of maori are making the effort to learn it .
    why do we give millions to prop up a language the majority of Maori really dont care about ?
    That seems to be the problem. Much like everyone whinges about how much the government wastes all this tax paying for consultants on how to consult on consulting so there's nothing left for the "common folk" it seems to be the same for what seems to be known as the Maori society here. Nothing left for the people who don't have the voice or the knowledge to claim a slice of the pie