Default No fences in Europe

When we travelled through the European countryside a few years back we noticed that there was no fences. We are so used to seeing fences on both sides of the road here in NZ that we were surprised at the lack of fences on the farms, but apparently there are no fences as there are no animals to be confined.

So where are the animals? Iím certain they have animals in Europe - cows and sheep - so where are they? Are they kept in barns? That might be the case in the winter time but surely they would be outside in the summer?

Living in NZ, I could not find anyone who could answer these questions, so I looked it up online and was surprised to read some of the reasons as to why they were kept inside. The only thing the article did not say was how expensive it was.

You might be interested to have a look here: https://www.myfearlesskitchen.com/wh...nimals-inside/
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: No fences in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    When we travelled through the European countryside a few years back we noticed that there was no fences. ]
    https://www.betafence.com/en/available/europe

Not quite true.
    Friend, from germany, her dad had a property there, fenced, with farm animals. Not exactly on the tourist trails though.

Look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=farm...w=1376&bih=657
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    The only thing the article did not say was how expensive it was.
    The farmers all get subsidies (handouts) .
    Handouts for farming certain things, handouts for NOT farming certain things .

I can sort of understand handouts to keep farms sustainable. Most countries will want to be able to feed itself .

In the alpine regions sheep and cows are marched up the mountains in spring and brought down into barns in autumn, has been that way for centuries. English farmers take their sheep into barns for lambing as they have predators that would kill the lambs. Everyone thinks foxes are cute but have you ever seen the results of them when they go into a killing frenzy, its very messy and not pleasant. Dairy herds are kept in yards over winter in England as the grass doesn't grow enough to feed them.

Even my property I have a boundary fence and just use a couple of electric hot wires to move my animals around.

We noticed the same when cycling through Middle Europe. I think many farms in France did not have fences as they grew crops instead of animals. There were some fields with fences and gates but noticeably less common than in NZ. I remember seeing cattle grazing in fenced paddocks in France and Belgium.
    When in Germany, we noticed large barns which were used to house the animals, especially in winter when cold means shelter is needed.
    We watched a farmer use a mower to cut long grass (like a large set of shears, not a lawn mower) in Switzerland, gather the cut grass and take back to the animals, presumably sheltered in a barn.

Yes this argument wins it.
    I had not looked at the matter from that perspective!

Quote Originally Posted by BelindaCruz View Post
    Yes this argument wins it.
    I had not looked at the matter from that perspective!
    What on earth is that about?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.