Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wanderer

Default Re: How often do you sign another contract with ISPs, power companies etc?

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Sign? Only when it's worth it.
    I check often though.....
    2Degrees sent us the last bill in advance which is when my contract ends went up by $15/mo. I was able to sign another 12 months the same deal as others less the $100 credit for new clients only. Been with them for prob 8yr or something. I have noticed many ISPs no longer give sign up perks like My Republic, Actrix etc. Slingshot haven't been doing their TV commercials.

Default Re: How often do you sign another contract with ISPs, power companies etc?

Haven't had a contract in a long time......neither ISP nor power.
    Never had a combo with power and net either, it costs more from what I've seen.
    Ex-pctek

Wanderer

I've found with power companies and also ISPs (separately not combos together) the better deals are those that give you credits. Power companies might give up to $150 credit for electricity and another for gas. The contract gives you locked in prices for that duration so price increases are protected until the contract expires. Some companies can be more expensive but many are kinda similar but the difference often is the contract gives you those sign up credit perks. Ie Skinny broadbands's 3 free month or $150-300 credit with utility companies.

I'm personally very reluctant to change providers so I hardly ever do. I check my mobile and broadband plans every year or so to check if there are better ones though, spark don't make a habit of telling you when there are cheaper options added.

And as for power companies, I was with genesis for years but switched to ourpower about 18 months back after seeing an online discussion about them somewhere, I think it might have been geekzone. They only cover the WEL network area, have no line fees etc, charge $0.235 + gst per kwh and nothing else, and have weekly bills. They are also too small to make the consumer comparison tool. Saving me quite a lot, my weekly power bills vary from $20 - $30 depending on time of year whereas genesis tended to be $130 - $200+ a month depending on the time of year. The high end is obviously winter, I use my heatpump a lot.

But just like it took me a long time to change from genesis it'll prob take a long time for me to change again.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I'm personally very reluctant to change providers so I hardly ever do.

And as for power companies, I was with genesis for years but switched to ourpower about 18 months back after seeing an online discussion about them somewhere, I think it might have been geekzone..
    Nice if budget means you don't have to care. We do, and I reduced my mums power bills by $200 a month by changing.
    rather extreme but she hadn't changed in years and years either....

Ph/net went from $130 to $90.
    Ex-pctek

Wanderer

Changed to Skinny with the 3 free months but 1 week too early. They doing 6 months free now oh well. Going from Big Pipe which is also Telecom Spark NZ. The Internet didn't go off past the changeover date, I have yet to pop over there and restart the router for them. Maybe they are on the same network settings just on a diff register.

Did the swap over all online so no miscommunication. Fiber 100/20 so kinda plain vanilla if you disregard the 30 speed option.