Thread: Intel v AMD

Default Intel v AMD

I suspect it becomes personal choice but currently should one have any particular concerns when a new laptop is purchased re whether it is with Intel Chip or AMD Chip?
    I think a few years back there was some concern about overclocking with AMD.

I'm thinking of reasonably high Spec say 16GB RAM and SSD 512GB

Comments pleaae

Default Re: Intel v AMD

Unless you do fancy stuff with virtualisation (think a VM within a VM sort of thing), there's really no practical difference (that I've come across).

Really it just comes down to the performance and cost of what you're looking at.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Ranking:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4312.html

Scroll down to the hierarchy.
    Ex-pctek

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    I suspect it becomes personal choice but currently should one have any particular concerns when a new laptop is purchased re whether it is with Intel Chip or AMD Chip?
    I think a few years back there was some concern about overclocking with AMD.

I'm thinking of reasonably high Spec say 16GB RAM and SSD 512GB

Comments pleaae
    What are you planning to do with the laptop?

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

ChiefNZ Re laptop I have zero interest in gaming.
    My main uses are using Microsoft 365 and XERO for Business. (I want speed) I listen to music a lot (quite a bit of downloading YouTube music videos to mp3 format) and watch videos.
    I also participate in a lot of Webinars.
    Reason for asking is that I have asked Lenovo (via PB Tech) to replace my Lenovo ThinkPad E15 which has continually lost audio (no audio device detected). This model may have been superseded.

Piroska thanks very much for the links you provided.
    Neil

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    ChiefNZ Re laptop I have zero interest in gaming.
    My main uses are using Microsoft 365 and XERO for Business. (I want speed) I listen to music a lot (quite a bit of downloading YouTube music videos to mp3 format) and watch videos.
    I also participate in a lot of Webinars.
    Reason for asking is that I have asked Lenovo (via PB Tech) to replace my Lenovo ThinkPad E15 which has continually lost audio (no audio device detected). This model may have been superseded.

Piroska thanks very much for the links you provided.
    Neil
    For your use case either will do to be honest... depending on your budget and likely also availability you may be force one way or the other...

AMD mobile CPU's perform "better" in terms of thermal performance AKA run cooler compared to the Intel units... BUT you may not be able to source an AMD Ryzen 4000 series laptop so if you're desperate for a replacement this may force you down the Intel route.

An alternative solution (if you are happy with your current laptop outside of the dodgy audio) is to get an external DAC. This will allow you to disable the "faulty" onboard audio and still enjoy audio (to be fair it will probably be better audio if you get a decent DAC).

I run a Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro motherboard which has a Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec. The audio quality is pretty decent but I use a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD external DAC over bluetooth and wired (when my battery runs flat) and I think it sounds better.

If you are somewhat of an audiophile then I'd recommend a good quality external DAC which would likely cost you far less than a new laptop and will probably also do a better job.

Whatever you do... DO NOT get one of those GAMING DACs such as the GSX 300 or the Soundblaster offerings, in my experience these "Gaming" audio products are inferior to something like Behringer, Audio Engine or FocusRite DACs etc.

I guess the only thing that will stop you form getting a "desktop DAC" is if you move around with your laptop quite a bit... in which case you'd probably want a more portable USB based DAC, which do exist but again they will not be AS GOOD as something like a Behringer/Focusrite or AudioEngine unit.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Thanks, ChiefNZ for such detailed comments.