Default Laptop battery not charging

Hi all,
    I think I posted about this a while ago before I got a 2nd battery, but I cant find the original post.

I have a Asus laptop, it's getting old - I guess about 7 years now - but it still does everything I need it to. I rarely use it at home as I have my desktop. It was more for when I was travelling for work, which hasn't happened now since COVID.
    A while back, after not using it for a while, I cranked it up and noticed the battery was not charging. I thought, battery must be dead after not being plugged in for so long. After giving it many hours plugged in, it was still not charging at all, so as the battery would have been about 7 years old I bought a new battery.

The problem is, the new battery is not charging either. If I plug the laptop into the mains, the charging indicator does say "x hours to full charge", but it does not actually say "charging" and does not appear to charge at all. If I unplug the mains, the laptop dies.

I can't really believe the brand new battery was faulty as well. What could be the likely causes for this? Seems to me it must be hardware related. If that is the case, is this something potentially repairable at reasonable cost? Or, considering the age of the laptop, should I just consider getting a new one? As I said, this one, even though it's old, still does everything I need it to, so I'd prefer to keep using it, if I can.

Edit - forgot to add, the red led charging indicator light does come on when plugged into mains. So some sort of incoming power is recognised, it just somehow doesn't seem to be making it's way to charge the battery...
    Last edited by Chikara; 07-10-2021 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Extra info

Default Re: Laptop battery not charging

Silly as this might sound -- is it the Correct charger ?

Example:
    I had a customers old HP laptop just two weeks ago, originally came with Win 7, exactly the same thing - When she plugged in her charger it would power up the laptop, Power LED on, but the battery wouldn't charge, Did show as power connected on battery, some other local "expert" said it was the power socket broken - yeah right - if it was it wouldn't power on you would think.

Anyways - Took one look and right away saw it was not the charger for her laptop, the one she had was very similar and did fit, but wasn't right.

Used an old one I had here which I Knew WAS the correct one, starting charging right away when plugged in, so then started doing the rest, updating, general check etc, and a few hours later was nicely up to 80% and charging, so ordered a correct new replacement which also worked as it should.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 07-10-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Bleakly Optomistic

I have that issue with my Dell. What can fix it (but not always) is letting it drain completely, take it out, put it back in, and it'll start charging again till the next time it decides to stop charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikara View Post
    Hi all,

I can't really believe the brand new battery was faulty as well.
    It happens, Ive had that a couple of times with new batts (wernt genuine brand replacements).

Quite possibly its the charging circuit . Fixable but not worth it on a 7year old laptop
    Or issues with the power pack
    A 7 year old batt would be on its last legs regardless .

You could try sending the new batt back , saying its doesnt work. Chances are they cant actually test it, so will just send another .

To test the power pack , remove the batt & see if it runs OK with no batt & just the power pack

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    It happens, Ive had that a couple of times with new batts (wernt genuine brand replacements).

Quite possibly its the charging circuit . Fixable but not worth it on a 7year old laptop
    Or issues with the power pack
    A 7 year old batt would be on its last legs regardless .

You could try sending the new batt back , saying its doesnt work. Chances are they cant actually test it, so will just send another .
    Very similar experience with an old HP laptop: bought the supposed to be 'genuine HP' battery from eBay many years ago, it just didn't charge, made a claim, they sent me another one, same thing.. so I requested for a full refund.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Had that happen plenty of times, third party Batteries simply don't work, HP and Dell and classic for it. One HP I have here a message pops up saying non Genuine battery when running on mains - So it decides it wont charge (it worked fine till the factory charge in the battery ran out)

Thanks for the replies.
    To answer a few of the questions that were asked:
    - Yes, it's 100% definitely the correct charger that belongs to this laptop.
    - Laptop does run fine directly off mains (eg removed the battery fully, running on main power only). The battery charge LED light shows as off when doing this.

One new development to report. Previously when I was removing the battery to test this, the laptop was already off. Just now I removed the battery while it was running, to test if it was still running on mains. and then I added the battery back again while it was still running. Now the battery LED light shows green, the software display says battery "Fully charged 100%. Yet if I remove the mains charger, laptop still died immediately. So it was either wrongly reporting the battery had 100% power, or if it did, it was still not able to somehow use the battery...