Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Win 11 upgrade

Bleakly Optomistic

Default Re: Win 11 upgrade

Makes me wonder, how many users here just use mostly web based programmes to keep installing new operating systems. Surely I'm not the only gamer on here lol, with sometimes a limited internet connection, and downloading 500GB of stuff over and over sounds tiresome to me

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Makes me wonder, how many users here just use mostly web based programmes to keep installing new operating systems. Surely I'm not the only gamer on here lol, with sometimes a limited internet connection, and downloading 500GB of stuff over and over sounds tiresome to me
    Gamer here, I am curious about how good/bad DirectStorage will be. I have not seen any games with support for Direct Storage as yet so may be some time before we see that come to fruition.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    There is a script which replaces the loader in the iso with a Windows 10 loader. Once this is done it installs as Windows 10, no problems. Very stable.
    If its the same script / media creation tool on Github https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...b5d65613187b15 It works a treat.

Just tried doing a fresh install of Windows 11 using the media creation tool it uses to download from the MS servers and create the ISO / USB or DVD media, it was installed on a PC that had more red flags on Whynot11 than a labour party conference and it installed perfectly fine as well as downloaded all current avilable updates.

Tried the included Scripts to disable the TPM and CPU requirements on an existing W10 also worked perfectly.

If microsoft will alter something later on that will break the install is anyones guess.

Edited: Seems Microsoft have now put out a way to bypass their own restrictions ( oh well) https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...supported-pcs/

And heres some instructions on using the script mentioned above and what it does : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-requirements/

Prdictions: Reakon MS will make changes with warnings to allow install without any alterations.

Sty atuned to see what happens as the saying goes
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-10-2021 at 06:48 PM.

There are currently reports of performance issues with Ryzen CPUs and windows 11. A fix is apparently on the way soon.

I'm a gamer myself so I'm watching with interest. My PC does support windows 11 but I have to change a few BIOS settings and change my SSD to GPT format. Honestly didn't even know my PC was running in legacy / MBR mode, think that might have happened when I had BIOS issues and had to reinstall windows a few months back.
    This time I will take my time and wait for all the potential issues to surface before I decide.

With MS past history of mucking up every 2nd release (mostly) I'm in no rush.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Old guy

FWIW About the only came I play is MSFS 2020 which runs very well for me on Win 11 on my home built Intel system. It runs better now than it did on Win 10, far smoother than before and now running on Ultra settings.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    ... but I have to change a few BIOS settings and change my SSD to GPT format. Honestly didn't even know my PC was running in legacy / MBR mode, think that might have happened when I had BIOS issues and had to reinstall windows a few months back...
    Interesting. Do we need to check what format before installing Windows? I never did.

If I need to, where in the BIOS to look for? Can we still change the format after Windows installed?

In the BIOS you need things like secure boot and UEFI boot enabled, the MBR/GPT thing is done when the drive is first formatted generally by the OS installer for most people. It can be changed later but there is always a risk when doing things like this https://www.windowscentral.com/how-c...efi-windows-10
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

You mean, when Secure Boot and UEFI boot are enabled, the format will be changed to GPT?

I have done quite a few new installs of Windows, it never asked me what format to use??

Older by the minute

If you want to use GPT, allows many partitions instead of MBR's 4, you could use AOMEI Partition standard. It's free and easily changes the format from MBR to GPT (or back again). I've used it successfully. YOu just highlight the disk and use the drop down menu, follow the prompts.

Had to register AOMEI Partition standard to change from MBR to GPT on 1 of my Desktops

Did this a week ago before the official release was available