Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Win 11 upgrade

Default Re: Win 11 upgrade

I suspect MS will get a nasty shock when they see how low the Win11 market share is at the end of the year .

Most Win10 PC's wont meet min CPU spec
    Most people AND COMPANIES wont be buying new PC's during Covid & Lockdown uncertainties

Perhaps things will change when lack of sales hits them hard ?
    Or (Tinfoil Hat) they want to push everyone towards the new Cloud based Windows365

Probably 70/80% do not qualify for Windows 11

Been asked a few times from people I know that are totally in the dark on any changes that are required

Told them to wait till they need to upgrade as other requirements will come into play(Windows 12?)

Am always keen to keep up but when new hardware required it gets cumbersome. Only 2 years old I think.
    my new laptop is ok to upgrade so that will tell me if I need it on the desk top as well.
    Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Your CPU isnt compatible.
    Your older MB might not support the latest gen ryzens

Dont waste your time and money .
    You dont NEED Win11
    But I need an excuse for an upgrade

(not that Windows 11 is the only reason!)
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I suspect MS will get a nasty shock when they see how low the Win11 market share is at the end of the year .

Most Win10 PC's wont meet min CPU spec
    Most people AND COMPANIES wont be buying new PC's during Covid & Lockdown uncertainties

Perhaps things will change when lack of sales hits them hard ?
    Or (Tinfoil Hat) they want to push everyone towards the new Cloud based Windows365
    Microsoft is targeting corporate clients rather than the average home user when it comes to Windows 11. That is why they are "hyping" the improved security of Windows 11... this is a major factor for corporate IT. Add to this that most Corporate IT outfits have rolling device contracts with the likes of HP/Dell etc. So MS gets those vendors to start rolling out Windows 11 devices which Corporate customers will buy because it's "cheaper" in the long run... device refresh cycles last 3-5 years so if MS and it's hardware partners can get buy in from large corporations the uptake of new Windows 11 devices (along with the Volume licensing for Windows and Office) will be reasonably high enough for them to not have to worry about market share.

Another tactic MS and it's hardware partners will likley pull is make renewals for devices running Windows 11 "cheaper" for a current client who is running a Windows 10 fleet... and given these COVID times most corporates will fall for that because shaving 2-5% off your yearly cost with a new contract signing is more valuable to them now than the worry of device/or software compatibility.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Bleakly Optomistic

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    Microsoft is targeting corporate clients rather than the average home user when it comes to Windows 11. That is why they are "hyping" the improved security of Windows 11... this is a major factor for corporate IT. Add to this that most Corporate IT outfits have rolling device contracts with the likes of HP/Dell etc. So MS gets those vendors to start rolling out Windows 11 devices which Corporate customers will buy because it's "cheaper" in the long run... device refresh cycles last 3-5 years so if MS and it's hardware partners can get buy in from large corporations the uptake of new Windows 11 devices (along with the Volume licensing for Windows and Office) will be reasonably high enough for them to not have to worry about market share.

Another tactic MS and it's hardware partners will likley pull is make renewals for devices running Windows 11 "cheaper" for a current client who is running a Windows 10 fleet... and given these COVID times most corporates will fall for that because shaving 2-5% off your yearly cost with a new contract signing is more valuable to them now than the worry of device/or software compatibility.
    Interesting you say that. I know a few large corporates (govt and private) that run through thin clients or virtual desktops rather than actual PCs. the main thing for logging on is your "device" is running win 7 or later, so you can run a citrix emulator. You reckon that'll change sooner rather than later when Win11 launches?

I have Windows 11 dual booted on my laptop. There is a script which replaces the loader in the iso with a Windows 10 loader. Once this is done it installs as Windows 10, no problems. Very stable. I still prefer Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    ...... That is why they are "hyping" the improved security of Windows 11...
    thats why I can understand their strict CPU requirements . (not saying I agree with it 100%)
    Why allow old CPU's with known security issues , and CPUs that wont be compatible with any future security enhancements , supposedly.

I guess the older/existing Home & Small Business PC's wouldnt be buying a Win11 lic even if comptable, so MS dont really loose any potential sales .

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Interesting you say that. I know a few large corporates (govt and private) that run through thin clients or virtual desktops rather than actual PCs. the main thing for logging on is your "device" is running win 7 or later, so you can run a citrix emulator. You reckon that'll change sooner rather than later when Win11 launches?
    Yeah, I hear you, we have a number of Gov and Corp clients who run Citrix alongside VDI. One of the biggest issues a lot of them had (with COVID) is that the original deployment was geared towards user's being in the office. So when lockdowns were put into place, they had to open up their VDI access over secure VPN via BYOD or supply laptops for users to take home. We also had a few customer's who decided to move things to the cloud because it was too expensive (along with lenghty lead times) to get new hardware into their "Data Centres". The biggest challenge however was bandwidth (particuarly for VPNs where user licensing and bandwidth usage/limits were part of their licensing... so we saw some "investment" from customers in that regard to get their speeds up to par with the workloads that were coming through via VPN. Interesting times.

I recently read somewhere that more than 50% of corporate MS Enterprise agreement customers (globally) are running hardware that is not compatible with Windows 11.... though take that with a grain of salt as I'm pretty sure that was a "Microsoft STAT" - though it probably isn't far off, looking at our Aussie client base, that stat is pretty accurate... most of our clients tend to run their gear into the ground (4-5 years before they decide to refresh their device fleet).

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

I upgraded to Windows 11 yesterday, all things considered it is pretty good. It feels much more snappier than Windows 10. My only GRIPE is they have removed the Groups feature from the Start Menu, so I can no longer have my apps grouped by type (Audio/video/Games, Sys Admin etc) it's not a show stopper but it does make scrolling through the Start Menu something I now have to get used to again. I tried a recommended Reg hack which supposedly restores the "Classic/Windows 10" Start Menu but this did not work...

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W