Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Win 11 upgrade

Default Re: Win 11 upgrade

Interesting discussion but as a near novice in such matters it would be best to wait till hardware is upgraded before tempting win 11 yes?

Interesting discussion but as a near novice in such matters it would be best to wait till hardware is upgraded before tempting win 11 yes?

oops

Older by the minute

Yes! might all be sorted in 3 months for all of us who don't qualify at present.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If its the same script / media creation tool on Github https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc7...b5d65613187b15 It works a treat.

Just tried doing a fresh install of Windows 11 using the media creation tool it uses to download from the MS servers and create the ISO / USB or DVD media, it was installed on a PC that had more red flags on Whynot11 than a labour party conference and it installed perfectly fine as well as downloaded all current avilable updates.

Tried the included Scripts to disable the TPM and CPU requirements on an existing W10 also worked perfectly.

If microsoft will alter something later on that will break the install is anyones guess.

Edited: Seems Microsoft have now put out a way to bypass their own restrictions ( oh well) https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...supported-pcs/

And heres some instructions on using the script mentioned above and what it does : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-requirements/

Prdictions: Reakon MS will make changes with warnings to allow install without any alterations.

Sty atuned to see what happens as the saying goes
    I have just downloaded the latest W11, using the "script" installed it on QEMU/KVM virtual machine in Mint 19.2. I only gave it 4GB RAM, 2 core x 1.9 Mhz cpu, 60GB virtual drive. Works perfectly. I tried to install it direct, before using the "script', and it wouldn't have a bar of it!

Older by the minute

Another method for Legacy computers! https://allthings.how/how-to-install...ot-or-tpm-2-0/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Another method for Legacy computers! https://allthings.how/how-to-install...ot-or-tpm-2-0/
    I'll give the 1st method of replacing the install.wim file a go when I get some time. I have found that the reg hacks no longer work with the preview release ISO.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Just downloaded the Win 10 ISO 21H1 and there is now no install.wim in the Sources folder. Guess they fixed that loophole.
    Regards,

Paul W

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Just downloaded the Win 10 ISO 21H1 and there is now no install.wim in the Sources folder. Guess they fixed that loophole.
    Depends on what Method you downloaded it. ( There's Several) The media Creation tool its install.esd. If you download it Via HeliDoc.net you get the install.wim, along with the complete versions ( the one I just tried did anyway) the ISO is slightly larger, the program gets the ISO directly from Microsoft Servers.

If interested here's the Direct download link for the program (doesn't install - its stand alone) https://www.heidoc.net/php/Windows-ISO-Downloader.exe

Nice site. Downloaded the Win 10 ISO and copied the install.wim from Win 10 sources folder to the sources folder on Win 11 ISO but still fails on the TPM and Secure Boot . Tried to download the Insider Preview build 22454 via this app but fails asking me to login to my Microsoft account. Can't seem to do that from within the app. Oh well will put this on hold in the mean time. .
    Last edited by paulw; 11-10-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    Regards,

Paul W

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Oh well will put this on hold in the mean time. .
    Go have a look at Post #23 Theres a link to a github site, top right hand corner is the Zip File, when unpacked, you double click the File "MediaCreationtool.bat" This will download and modify the ISO From Microsoft. This is the one I used on a old PC that had more reds (not compatible) than Green, installed file. ( from Fresh).