Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Win 11 upgrade

Older by the minute

Default Re: Win 11 upgrade

Hi WT. Does the github site install on Legacy computers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Not 100% sure. BUT I Do have a few computers here that I can try it on. I'm expecting to have some time tomorrow ( tuesday) after I ick up a persons laptop 1st thing (8am) and have to wait for the couriers to arrive around mid day, so I'll give it a go then and post back

I have been comparing the BETA W11 Pro with the current released version, and there are a few mods to it:-
    1] You can no longer disable 'auto update' in 'Group Policy' --- this sucks!
    2] They have changed the settings menu -- messy & confusing.
    3] The rounded corners are now almost gone. -- I like the fully rounded corners.
    Otherwise it appears to be the same, even got Windows 7 Backup in it, what for I can't imagine! Still hasn't got a decent file manager, Stay on Top command, or Office suite.

See the issues with Windows 11 are ticking up

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...registry-keys/

Upgraded my new build to 11 and straight off and ran into the two step Context Menu (Copy and Paste),there is a Registry hack for getting this to show https://www.howtogeek.com/759559/how...on-windows-11/

Will not be updating my Daily till seeing more fixes and any other incompatibilities show up

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

Upgraded my new build to 11 and straight off and ran into the two step Context Menu (Copy and Paste),there is a Registry hack for getting this to show https://www.howtogeek.com/759559/how...on-windows-11/
    Many people don't actually notice all the copy/paste/cut /rename etc are in plain site In Fact its quite good, if you right click, copy/cut something then only option is paste.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy Paste etc.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	11152
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-10-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Many people don't actually notice all the copy/paste/cut /rename etc are in plain site In Fact its quite good, if you right click, copy/cut something then only option is paste.

Name:	Copy Paste etc.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	11152
    Cheers for that ,only looked at it for 5 minutes after install and did some transfer of software from a another Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    To carry on from last nights reply

Did two Older computers, both said not capable. One laptop One Desktop.

1. (laptop) Running from within Windows 10 - had to run both the TPM .bat files in the package, then it installed fine using in place upgrade using the ISO created by the same Download/File ( used the burn to USB to create the media)

2. (Desktop) Again a Windows 10, but this time didn't need the TPM .Bat files. Only thing I did different was when it gets to the point at the start saying about checking for updates, if you click on the show more options ( think thats what it says) you can tell it not to check for updates 1st. Installed fine.

Below is the whynot 11 screen report, originally Windows 10, along with the W11 Installed. ( yeah OK then)

Name:	Why Not 11 Two.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	11155

Then rebooted the PC from the USB drive, wiped all partitions and did a fresh install without any problems, again ran whynot11 and some of the options had changed on a fresh install. Some Still in the RED though.

Name:	Why Not 11 Fresh.PNG 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	11156

Each of above was NOT connected to the internet while upgrading, only after then downloaded updates. For how long --Anyones Guess.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-10-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Thanx Wai for your info. I'm trying to do an upgrade to 22471.1000_amd64 via the UUP Dump site . Got the ISO and ran setup no joy, Copied install.wim but still no joy. I think that these hack rounds are only for mew installs.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Thanx Wai for your info. I'm trying to do an upgrade to 22471.1000_amd64 via the UUP Dump site . Got the ISO and ran setup no joy, Copied install.wim but still no joy. I think that these hack rounds are only for mew installs.
    Try that other Option from Github. The ISO's from UUP Dump are directly downloaded from Microsoft. The One from Github, also gets the ISO from Microsoft but from what I gather ( could be wrong) it alters / removes the restrictions that the original ISO has, similar to how the insider builds were.

Of Course doing anything this way, theres no knowing what will happen in the future -- Its a wait and see game. Microsoft have advised even after giving the work around themselves that there may be no updates and some functions may not work or have a unknown side effect.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-10-2021 at 10:59 AM.

VoidMaster

Spam reported
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche