Thread: Sad :(

Default Sad :(

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...k-pension-bill

A South Island couple stuck in Australia risk having their pensions stopped and may have to pay back thousands of dollars because they have been overseas too long.

The Wallaces – Rae, 79, and Winston, 81 – flew to Australia in mid-April, when travel was permitted, to support their daughter and grandson who live in Queensland

They were unable to return before the travel bubble closed in July but hoped to return on October 29.

Their flights were then cancelled, leaving them stranded and unable to get a space in a managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) facility.
    MSD centralised services general manager Jason Dwen said no exemptions were available for people in the Wallaces’ situation.

“Closure of the travel bubble with Australia, other flight limitations due to Covid and difficulty securing a spot in MIQ, were all reasonably foreseeable before departure for anyone who left New Zealand within the past 30 weeks,” he said.

“There are no legislative provisions under which New Zealand Super and Veteran Pension clients who left New Zealand, and are now stuck in Australia solely due to closure of the travel bubble, could be paid any financial assistance by MSD.”

MSD could consider each case though as there may be other unforeseeable reasons a person may not be able to fly to New Zealand. For example, “there may have been a serious medical event that prevented their return”, he said.
    It's not like they were going on holiday, they went over to support their kids.... so you take away their pension, even though they most likely spent most of their lives paying their taxes and working?

"Be kind" my ass

Default Re: Sad :(

And politicians wonder why they are held in so much contempt!

Ken

I don’t know if this still applies, but you used to be able to get around the six month clause by advising you were now living in Australia.

Pensions were/are reciprocal between the two countries, but you only got the lesser amount of which the two countries paid.

No add-on’s like “Disability Allowances” are included and they cease after one month anyway.

The rules may have changed since I helped a friend out, but I suspect yet another “Media load of tripe” is at play here.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    I don’t know if this still applies
    It does, because a social security agreement exists between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post

so you take away their pension, even though they most likely spent most of their lives paying their taxes and working?

"Be kind" my ass
    Of course, anything to do with MSD is ****.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    It does, because a social security agreement exists between the two.
    That's good to hear it still exists..

Another one a lot of people aren't aware of is Hospitalisation is also free, (I think). Doctors visits aren't covered.

Along those lines I know of a guy who went To Aus without Travel Insurance because he was aware Hospitalisation was free and he was prepared to take the risk on luggage etc.

Sure enough he was involved in a vehicle accident and wound up in hospital. Yep, the Hospitalisation was free but the ride in the Ambulance was $800.

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Sad they are in that situation, BUT there was also warning that if you went out of NZ and there were other lockdowns you may not be able to return as soon as you were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Sad they are in that situation, BUT there was also warning that if you went out of NZ and there were other lockdowns you may not be able to return as soon as you were expecting.
    There was also warning that the govt wouldnt be offering any sort of help to those who got stuck in Aus (or other countries) if they left NZ to go to Aus .

I cant see ant good reason their super shouldnt continue to be paid in this temporary situation. Just lack of foresight by the govt , stuck with pre-covid rules .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    I cant see ant good reason their super shouldnt continue to be paid in this temporary situation. Just lack of foresight by the govt , stuck with pre-covid rules .
    Totally agree there. If a person(s) can provide the proof they are trying to return BUT its the actual Govt own rules stopping them, it should be easy enough to add an exception.

I'm sure it will have a "Happy Ending".

Just before the next Election.