Default Stupid Q. Re:Processor size v

As an absolute novus, and after a fruitless Google search, Im hoping someone can explain in layman's terms.
    I am wanting to download SketchUp. The programme suggests a minimum of 2.1+ GHz Intel™ processor but my old Mac has a 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor.
    Will the programme not work, will it just work slow or is it likely to bring my laptop to a grinding halt?
    Am wondering if buying a new laptop to support running this programme is vital before I start, or if I could I get away with it for a time to allow me to save up.
    Thankyou.

Default Re: Stupid Q. Re:Processor size v

Just try it:
    ]

2+ GHz processor
    8+ GB RAM
    700MB of available hard-disk space
    3D class video card with 1 GB of memory or higher and support for hardware acceleration.

SketchUp's performance relies heavily on the graphics card driver and its ability to support OpenGL 3.1 or higher. To test your graphics card's compatibility, please download and run the SketchUp Checkup application.

To run Checkup, install the application and choose to "Run SketchUp Checkup" as the last step of the install. Alternatively you can launch Checkup anytime via the “SketchUp Checkup” desktop icon if it was enabled during installation.

Once Checkup has launched, click the Run Checkup button. The application will run tests on your computer to determine if it has what is needed to run SketchUp and will display the results in the “Results” box at the top of the application.
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

I am not familiar with SketchUp however as a general rule the specifications listed as required to run any program are close to the minimum needed for it to work so I do not like your chances of running it on your old Mac in a satisfactory maner,

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

It may not work as snappily as expected. A slower clock speed my increase your "rendering" time so you could end up waiting longer for your projects to complete...

Personally, I never run anything based on "minimum" requirements... more often than not this results in a less than desirable experience.

If you are intending to use this for work then it is probably better if you get your hard spec at least above the "recommended" specifications... 3GHz CPU, 16GB of memory.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

"processor but my old Mac has a 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor"

CPU speeds arnt a good basis for anything now. Its no longer as simple as CPU speed

1.6GHz is literally a spec from last century
    but, that 1.6GHz cant be used to judge CPU speed. an i5 is considerably faster than a 1.6GHz CPU from way back long ago

Your 1.6GHz i5 could be faster than some older/AMD 2.5GHz CPU's (for many tasks)

Sketchups Minimum quoted spec for Win10 PC's is : 1 GHz processor
    About as low as you can get .
    Your Mac will run it OK

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    "processor but my old Mac has a 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor"

CPU speeds arnt a good basis for anything now. Its no longer as simple as CPU speed

1.6GHz is literally a spec from last century
    but, that 1.6GHz cant be used to judge CPU speed. an i5 is considerably faster than a 1.6GHz CPU from way back long ago

Your 1.6GHz i5 could be faster than some older/AMD 2.5GHz CPU's (for many tasks)
    100% right

Sketch up has also been around for years- it used to run absolutely fine on Core 2 duo macs and hasn't changed much since then.

You should be absolutely fine