Thread: Backup program

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Backup program

What backup program to recommend?

I am look for something that can back up my data automatically to a HDD (not boot disk)

Default Re: Backup program

For daily backups of the computers I use macrium Reflect, runs automatically . The paid versions allow separate folders instead of a whole Drive, where as the free doesn't.

There is also another backup Program (what you asking about) I use called Everysync https://www.easeus.com/file-sync/

The free version has some limitations but it does work very well, and can sync in various ways. Mine is set to auto back up Live, meaning any change to the items synced and instantly its saved it will backup EG: change one letter or word in a document, it notices the change - Backup /Sync. Mines set to a server in the workshop , But you can select any location, Eg: local Drive, External drive, various cloud storages ( One drive, Google drive etc)

On the media center ( free version), its has One folder Backed up, BUT inside that one folder is about 40 other folders.

There are many backup programs BUT What you have to watch out for is some backup software will create their own file formats that nothing else can open or restore. Everysync doesn't it backs up as the file is. Another problem with some free software -- Ads -- Something has to pay for it
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-09-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    For daily backups of the computers I use macrium Reflect, runs automatically . The paid versions allow separate folders instead of a whole Drive, where as the free doesn't.

There is also another backup Program (what you asking about) I use called Everysync https://www.easeus.com/file-sync/

The free version has some limitations but it does work very well, and can sync in various ways. Mine is set to auto back up Live, meaning any change to the items synced and instantly its saved it will backup EG: change one letter or word in a document, it notices the change - Backup /Sync. Mines set to a server in the workshop , But you can select any location, Eg: local Drive, External drive, various cloud storages ( One drive, Google drive etc)

On the media center ( free version), its has One folder Backed up, BUT inside that one folder is about 40 other folders.

There are many backup programs BUT What you have to watch out for is some backup software will create their own file formats that nothing else can open or restore. Everysync doesn't it backs up as the file is. Another problem with some free software -- Ads -- Something has to pay for it
    Thanks for the links. Will try ....

Do we assume youíre windows or are you Linux.

Windows includes a backup program that can do image based and file based backups.

I also use acronis true image which you can get for about $50.

And I also use Backblaze which is cloud based thatís $50usd a year

I use Syncback free for just standard data backups, if I was into imaging still which I'm not it would be mini tool or macrium. I had too many failures with Acronis a few years ago so wouldn't go back there.

Syncback can also do what eversync does and even though free has no ads, if it ever failed I would then try everysycn but syncback has been working for me for quite a few years now.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

I use EaseUS's ToDo Backup Workstation Edition (Paid) but their free version is very much an option to look into.

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

get something thats well supported, and well tested on multiple systems . By tested I mean actually doing test recoveries
    Macrium .

A sync isnt a backup. Make sure you get a backup program

Windows built in backup : it has an issue where if the USB HD runs out of space, it cant allways delete old backups/images to free space so will just fail.
    Its also no longer supported or recommended by MS .

Its a pity MS cant include a GOOD backup & image program into Windows (they do with their Server OS)
    So yeah, MS give us new toolbars & start menus instead . Priorities .

A sync isnt a backup. Make sure you get a backup program
    Well what do you call a program that makes a copy of files and data one way to another Device or location, and has the options to do it manually, or at set times /dates and can recover those files at any time ??

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Well what do you call a program that makes a copy of files and data one way to another Device or location, and has the options to do it manually, or at set times /dates and can recover those files at any time ??
    Are you telling us that you'd setup your clients with sync rather than true backups ?
    How many of your servers are backed up with syncs ?

A sync can overwrite your ~backup~ with corrupt files
    A back will also do that, but most backups will have MULTIPLE versions or copies of incremental backups . (yes some sync programs have that )
    I wouldnt rely on a 'sync' as a backup for important files.

Thats also a limitation with using robocopy for backups .
    Better than nothing, but better options available .

https://www.google.com/search?q=sync+vs+backup

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Are you telling us that you'd setup your clients with sync rather than true backups ?
    How many of your servers are backed up with syncs ?
    Simple answer NONE.

If you read any previous posts you would see there's at least two backups, complete & incremental backups several versions (macrium). And then there's other programs that will "sync" as well. So the chances of all being corrupted, while its possible, there is always a fully working version, even its on a third external drive that's only manually connected to do a backup. Some programs can do a lot more than simple backups or sync, Eg: make a single copy or have various copies.

There's One huge problem with people doing auto backups, more often than not the devices are attached all the time - so any problems can go wild.

Trying to find a good balance can be hard, as to manually connect a Device - 99% of the time after a few times people don't do it. And again devices connected 24/7 can lead to other problems. (including Servers, online etc).

One thing that is not so clear -- Some programs say they have done backups, then when required have actually failed, and the person had never tested them.