Default Live recovery USB options

So my laptop crapped itself last night while updating to the latest Win 11 Dev release (I'd had no issues with Win 11 in the 2+ months prior to yesterday). I can login but Explorer.exe doesn't load, so nothing actually functions. It tells me there are no restore points saved (odd, but might be related to the Explorer.exe issue), and I can't get Windows update to rollback.

So my only option appears to be to reinstall Windows 10. I'm in the process of downloading the Lenovo Windows Recovery tool onto a USB drive to reset the install (laptop has no optical drive), but in the docs for that it says it will not save any existing files - everything on the Windows drive will be wiped.

Now I'm confident all of my essential files, and most of my other docs are stored in the cloud, so I'm not worried about them. But I'd like to have a quick look around to be sure I haven't overlooked something I need/want that for some reason I've saved to C: instead of a data drive or the cloud.

I figured my best option would be some kind of Live recovery USB, but it's been years since I used one, and not sure what the best option for that is anymore? Back in the day (10+ years ago) I used to use Hirams boot DVD... what is the best option now? Just for finding files I need off C: (SSD) and copying them to D: (internal HDD) I'm not going to try to fix anything, just want to access my files before wiping.

Any suggestions? And of course I need to be able to put it onto a USB stick and boot from it...

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Default Re: Live recovery USB options

A option that should work -- Download a Copy of linux mint, create a bootable USB, boot to the Live option, navigate around the damaged Windows, anything you want to recover, plug in another USB drive and copy/paste to it. Once done reinstall Windows.

Here's some complete instructions on how to download / create the bootable USB. https://itsfoss.com/install-linux-mint/

Scroll down and Start from Step 1: Download Linux Mint ISO

Note: on #2 Personally I use Rufus never tried the other option (yet)
    Note2 at #4 ignore the install part.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 04-09-2021 at 09:59 AM.

you could just use one of the linux distros, linux mint is close enough to windows that most people can manage to do the basics with it. The drive names will be different but you should be able to recognise the folder names.
    Linux install flash drives also function as a live full desktop OS boot drive.

Does Lenovo install bloat ware with their restore disc? I'd be tempted just to use a standard windows 10 installation media and add the lenovo drivers afterwards, although some laptops need extra setup for all the built in features to work properly so maybe not.

edit: Wainui types faster
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Older by the minute

MS are now pulling Win11 from devices that do not meet their specs. That is probably why you have now lost your system. Google "Theverge" and look for their take on it. TheVerge/Tech/microsoft/MS kicking unsupported out of Windows11.

Heres a video on Youtube with the fix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Z6i9euJEk
    I was lucky with one of my pc's, it had a restore point and another didnt. So I put one back to 10, this is before the fix came out. I thought it was MS stopping 11 on unsupported pc's, but its not. It was a stuffup with some code about running an ad in bling of all things.
    Last edited by Johny C; 04-09-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    MS are now pulling Win11 from devices that do not meet their specs. That is probably why you have now lost your system. Google "Theverge" and look for their take on it. TheVerge/Tech/microsoft/MS kicking unsupported out of Windows11.
    They also say that if you reinstall W11 it will not get updates! What a blessing! Almost makes Windows worthwhile. I have used W11 for a couple of months now, and found it to be very stable, fast, and good looking. My main OS is Mint 19.3.

Thanks all for your replies - I ended up figuring out how to get the files I needed from my mostly non-functional windows, and that worked enough for me - I then reinstalled Win 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Johny C View Post
    I thought it was MS stopping 11 on unsupported pc's, but its not.
    I thought the same, but for some reason I still can't update to the next Dev release

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    MS are now pulling Win11 from devices that do not meet their specs.
    According to everything I'm reading, my computer should still be adequate to keep using new Dev flights, but the update to 22449 is still failing

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Last edited by Mike; 05-09-2021 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thanks all for your replies - I ended up figuring out how to get the files I needed from my mostly non-functional windows, and that worked enough for me - I then reinstalled Win 10.

I thought the same, but for some reason I still can't update to the next Dev release

According to everything I'm reading, my computer should still be adequate to keep using new Dev flights, but the update to 22449 is still failing

Cheers,
    Mike.
    If your computer doesn't meet the specs, the latest Dev (22449.1) wont install. Got the same problem, well at upgrading anyway. Even tried the known "hacks" -- Nada Haven't tried doing a fresh install, but may have a go and see what happens.

Even though MS have said they will allow on older hardware it seems that's only on the finished public release, NOT the Insider versions. Bit backward if you ask me - But who knows ??

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If your computer doesn't meet the specs, the latest Dev (22449.1) wont install.
    My problem was that Windows Update kept trying to install it and failing. It tried again on the fresh Win 10 install, installed Win 11 then tried the 22449 before I stopped it and managed to move it back into the "beta" rather than "dev" flighting. You'd think that Microsoft would have it gracefully decline the update, rather than keep trying and failing...

Cheers,
    Mike.