Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water filters

Default Re: Water filters

I don't understand why you need a water filter.

I have been drinking tap water for the last 77 years with no ill effects, so I have no need for a filter.

We own a motorhome and fill the fresh water tank with water from the outside tap and have been drinking that water for the last 11 years, once again, with no ill effects.

I read the FB page of NZ motorhomers and I am surprised at the many people who carry expensive bottled water in their van, or use a filter, as they will not drink the water straight out of their water tank.

I'm quite certain the councils of NZ would not supply anything but the cleanest, purist water to the consumers throughout the town. And if chlorine was harmful in any way, they would not be treating their water with it. So I have no problem drinking water straight from the tap and although I may not be the healthiest person around, I do not have any serious health problems.

So why would you need a water filter? Just does not make any sense.

Anyone else feel the same?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quiet Roscoe, if that's what you think, then you don't know what we are talking about and you can't comment on it!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Quiet Roscoe, if that's what you think, then you don't know what we are talking about and you can't comment on it!

Ken
    Then I would be pleased if you would tell me what on earth you are talking about. I thought that you were talking about water filters. What do I have wrong?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Council water quality and the need for filters to make the water drinkable. They said our tap water had a bit of faecal content so they added chlorine. As I commented to the water dept. That the should stop the chlorine and put the shite back as the water at least tasted good then. Napier acknowledge this by having artesian spring fed filling stations in some of our parks. Councils definitely don't get everything right. Usually problems are caused by lack of spending money when needed as that loses votes. Look at the transport problems in my old hometown of Auckland.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 01-09-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

I have been drinking tap water for the last 77 years with no ill effects
    Some peole have good water, most don't. It's not what you can see either.

In Hawkes bay it is very alkaline, you get the crusty in kettles etc - and the HWC.
    After the germs happened the council chlorinated which caused the buildup in these old cylinders to lift....and thus expose leaks that were blocked by it....and of course all that stuff then floats freely though the water system.

There is a lot of manganese in it too....when they flush the pipes we flush the loo (or from taps) and get brown water from it.
    The filter stops that.

I had a long email discussion with council, while there are the anti-chlorine nuts around as they say, it the cheapest, easiest way to treat water.

People don't want to pay heaps...so what do they do?
    It doesn't stop the hard water thing though, they'd need to treat it for that too.

Auckland does, Watercare has quite a comprehensive guide on how and what they do....I always liked that water...not acidic, not alkaline, and safe.
    I had campylobacter once, I never want to again. It's vicious.

And you might note, nitrates in the water is what causes bowel cancer...it's why even the sheep here have a higher incidence of it than elsewhere in the world.
    Ex-pctek

I have lived here for nearly 60 years now. For 55+ of those years no one ever complained about the water. It tasted beautiful and I used to drink heaps. Not so now! We were on an artesian bore for the first 15 years till they capped it and hooked us up to city water supply.

Ken

I have been drinking tap water for the last 77 years with no ill effects, so I have no need for a filter.
    your water wasnt contaminated with pooh. :-)

We own a motorhome and fill the fresh water tank with water from the outside tap and have been drinking that water for the last 11 years, once again, with no ill effects.

I read the FB page of NZ motorhomers and I am surprised at the many people who carry expensive bottled water in their van, or use a filter, as they will not drink the water straight out of their water tank.

I'm quite certain the councils of NZ would not supply anything but the cleanest, purist water to the consumers throughout the town. And if chlorine was harmful in any way, they would not be treating their water with it. So I have no problem drinking water straight from the tap and although I may not be the healthiest person around, I do not have any serious health problems.

So why would you need a water filter? Just does not make any sense.

Anyone else feel the same?
    until this house, i was always on tank water. no filter, lots of crud and the odd possum.
    but now i'm in town, the town water is chlorinated due to the source of the water, and its pretty horrible. in fact the neighbor installed a water tank and gone back to rain water.
    i put a filter in to remove the chlorine.

the water treatment station has filters etc which take all the mud etc out. so there is no real point to doing filtration for solids.

with caravans its best to clean the tanks. often the tanks are left with water in them and stuff grows in the tank. hence why they drink bottled water.
    Tweak it till it breaks

VoidMaster

SPAM reported
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche