Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Covid

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    You may well doubt my intelligence however I am not about to argue the point with someone who's head is so far up their rear end that they are incapable of civil discussion or of understanding an alternative point of view.
    Yes, it pays not to argue with oneself, Clive.
    FTW

Progressive Enterprises own Woolworths, Countdown, FreshChoice and Supervalue.

The competition between them is outrageous.

Oh, did I mention they have some sort of franchise arrangement between them too?

Like it or Lump it your money ends up in Aus, along with our Banks.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

VoidMaster

Covid infection protection waning in double jabbed:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58322882
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Yes, it pays not to argue with oneself, Clive.
    I can't find a mirror icon for you Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    it was only eliminated in nz not world wide.
    But it wasn't.
    It's here.

You can't eliminate anything in a global world...unless we shut the door and keep it that way forever, Which isn't possible here. For one thing, we don't make anything.

Medical experts Eran Bendavid, Christopher Oh, Jay Bhattacharya, and John Ioannidis published just two weeks ago at the European Journal of Clinical Investigation their research on “Assessing Mandatory Stay-at-Home and Business Closure Effects on the Spread of COVID-19.”

They studied “COVID-19 case growth in relation to any NPI [non-pharmaceutical interventions; i.e., lockdowns: mandatory stay-at-home and business closures] implementation in subnational regions of 10 countries: England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, and the US.” They then examined “case growth in Sweden and South Korea, two countries that did not implement mandatory stay-at-home and business closures, as comparison countries for the other eight countries (16 total comparisons).”

Their findings? “While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions.” In short: there was no practical difference in effect between countries that locked down and those that didn’t. Or even shorter: whatever benefits lockdowns give are dwarfed by their enormous costs.
    Ex-pctek

I wonder how the police are coping at the moment? We see on the news many police at the road blocks north and south of the city and I wonder who is looking after us while all that is going on? After all, I can't see the criminals obeying the lockdown. They'll be on the job as usual so I wonder how many police are left to chase up the crims. They, too, will have to be on the job despite the lockdown, so how many police are on the job at this time? Perhaps they will have called those on leave back to work?

Just wondering.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Covid infection protection waning in double jabbed:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58322882
    this is why Israel is doing booster shots and from what i read it looks like its helping. tho early days for that, i would not expect any accurate results for a while yet.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    But it wasn't.
    It's here.
    it was eliminated. covid has not been running around undetected all this time.
    this current one is a new outbreak and they even know where it came from.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post

Medical experts Eran Bendavid, Christopher Oh, Jay Bhattacharya, and John Ioannidis published just two weeks ago at the European Journal of Clinical Investigation their research on “Assessing Mandatory Stay-at-Home and Business Closure Effects on the Spread of COVID-19.”

They studied “COVID-19 case growth in relation to any NPI [non-pharmaceutical interventions; i.e., lockdowns: mandatory stay-at-home and business closures] implementation in subnational regions of 10 countries: England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, and the US.” They then examined “case growth in Sweden and South Korea, two countries that did not implement mandatory stay-at-home and business closures, as comparison countries for the other eight countries (16 total comparisons).”

Their findings? “While small benefits cannot be excluded, we do not find significant benefits on case growth of more restrictive NPIs. Similar reductions in case growth may be achievable with less restrictive interventions.” In short: there was no practical difference in effect between countries that locked down and those that didn’t. Or even shorter: whatever benefits lockdowns give are dwarfed by their enormous costs.
    if you actually read the study, it basically says thats its extremely difficult to actually model anything because every country is different, people do things different.
    "we should acknowledge that the underlying data and methods have important limitations. First, cross-country comparisons are difficult: countries may have different rules, cultures and relationships between the government and citizenry. "
    " confirmed case counts are a noisy measure of disease transmission. Testing availability, personal demand for or fear of getting tested, testing guidelines, changing test characteristics and viral evolution all interfere in the relationship between the underlying infections and case counts. "

basically they are comparing sweden and south korea with the rest of the world. which is know to be bit of a crap shoot to start with. if i recall correctly both ended up doing lockdowns at one point.

i would have to find some peer reviews of the study as the conclusions seam at odds to what the main article states. its not uncommon for modelling to be wrong (which happened here to).
    in the science world they do get junk studies done where they make the study show what they want it to show. hence the requirement for peer reviews and comparable studies.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I can't find a mirror icon for you Dave
    Aww damn, I'll just have to forgo the dazzling beauty and stunning brilliance then.
    FTW