Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid

Old guy

Default Re: Covid

There is a great tendency for people the accept facts that fit in with their preconceived beliefs and ignore any that do not. (Yes I am included in that). I tend to be more accepting of information that is not being influenced by either politics or money and in the current climate that does not really leave a lot certainly both our politicians, of all parties, and the goverment paid for news media only tell us what they believe will be to their advantage.
    A couple of facts for you to shoot down as I know some of you will automatically do.
    1. The delta variant is very infectious but makes very few people really ill most do not know they have it without a test.
    2. The overall annual death rate in the world is pretty much the same now as it always has been. A little higher in some places but a little lower in others.
    I do follow all the "rules" but more for the benefit of not upsetting others than any belief that it helps me in any way at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    There is a great tendency for people the accept facts that fit in with their preconceived beliefs and ignore any that do not. (Yes I am included in that). I tend to be more accepting of information that is not being influenced by either politics or money and in the current climate that does not really leave a lot certainly both our politicians, of all parties, and the goverment paid for news media only tell us what they believe will be to their advantage.
    The arrogance of this quote is astonishing and it's no wonder tweak'e cold shut down your nonsense (and good riddance). So your judgement of what information is not being influenced by either politics or money is obviously better than the rest of us? It is exactly like they said, it's like you think you're the only one with a brain in the room. Not everything needs to be a conspiracy and one can look at the facts objectively and come to a reasonable judgement.

A couple of facts for you to shoot down as I know some of you will automatically do.
    1. The delta variant is very infectious but makes very few people really ill most do not know they have it without a test.
    2. The overall annual death rate in the world is pretty much the same now as it always has been. A little higher in some places but a little lower in others.
    I do follow all the "rules" but more for the benefit of not upsetting others than any belief that it helps me in any way at all.
    Anything that spreads easier is inherently more dangerous as it has a larger attack surface. You're also talking about a variant that is infecting a population worldwide where 40% of people have at least one shot and 26% of people are double vaccinated. It's important to keep the delta numbers within that context when considering your second point- even with vaccinations on 3.6 billion people it's maintaining the same death rate.

There is a great tendency for people the accept facts that fit in with their preconceived beliefs and ignore any that do not. (Yes I am included in that)..

This is a known and proven thing.
    People do it unconsciously even...there have been studies.

People seek out info that supports their beliefs and ignore or argue what doesn't. Religion is a great example....evolution vs the god made it in 6 days thing.

That might be an extreme example but we all do it, it's hardwired. It's why scientists need to be careful and there are peer reviews and such, they do it too.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-80677-4
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-good-science/
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    The arrogance of this quote is astonishing
    and surpassed by the arrogance of your response.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    and surpassed by the arrogance of your response.
    Oh please wise one enlighten me- how? The entire premise of this part of the discussion was said user declaring incorrectly that lockdowns haven't achieved anything and we can't do anything about delta so we have to learn to live with it, both which reasonable arguments can be brought against and certainly aren't moved by declaring someone's head up their ass for disagreeing and then declaring that they're more accepting of facts that aren't tied to politics and money.

It's a sneaky way to question the entire premise of the opposite argument instead of actually putting in the effort to do the research and dismantle it piece by piece. You've very happily declared that not everything is a conspiracy in the past, and I would put the same forward here.

Well you did predict it.

HTML Code:
    Source please.

I bet all those that were cremated in Bonfires on the streets and buried in mass graves knew they were sick.

HTML Code:
    Source Please.

The reality is nobody knows the exact population of the world let alone the death rates. Just media nonsense that you yourself have referred to.

Anyway, I think you should do a roundup, put them through the yards and do a headcount.
    Last edited by B.M.; 30-08-2021 at 09:43 AM.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post

Iím starting to feel sorry for ScoMo, he just canít take a trick anywhere.

I think that pretty much everything he has suggested has been over ridden by some State Premier somewhere.

I laughed way back when WA closed their boarders. ScoMo said you canít do that and Mark McGowan replied he could, even if it meant declaring WA a republic. He also pointed out that WA was self sufficient and didnít need the rest of Aus.

End of conversation, border remained closed.

Changing course a bit, I can remember when Tuberculosis and Polio were taking there toll on society around the world and the only way we got out of it was Isolate and Vaccinate.

Tuberculosis affected animals as well which didnít help the situation.

Of course we have had a list of other Fluís which were/are controlled by the age old principal of Isolation and Vaccination.

Anyway, Iím confident that once the Vaccination Rate gets up around 80% normality will resume.

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

VoidMaster

Israel widens 3rd COVID booster shot to those aged 12 and over:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...e-for-vaccine/
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Israel widens 3rd COVID booster shot to those aged 12 and over:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...e-for-vaccine/
    Yeeee gods, have they got a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Israel.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	11074

as we have substantially better treatments for covid these days compared to the early days, why isn't the death rate lower now than it used to be?
    as delta is more infectious and many people do not know they have it, wouldn't there be more infection around and consequently wouldn't it find its way to the vulnerable people a lot quicker and easier? why would you not want to stop that?

the devil is in the detail. with death rates you need to factor in all the preventive measures. to measure a virus true kill rate you need no preventive measures, which no country has done, therefore that data does not exist. even 3rd world countries still have doctors that save lives, people do social distancing themselves. this all influences the final numbers. if you can't account for those measures then your data is incorrect and your conclusions will be incorrect.
    Tweak it till it breaks