Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Advice on which of 2 Laptop/Notebooks to buy

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    wainuitech
    Hi
    Thanks for the info. I haven't used Macrium for a while. I will create the image later today.
    I was going to say earlier that the problem I had a few years ago with the image created of an HDD that was larger than the intended recipient HDD and wouldn't fit the smaller HDD was because I created a sector x sector image. At that time I think I was using the Easeus Todo Backup Free or Home (Trial). That must be close to a decade ago when I was using W7 x64 Pro.

Cheers.
    While Macrium will only image the used space, its reference to the larger drive will still be there, so when dropping the image back to a smaller you may get a message saying not enough space.

There's an easy fix, this is what I do -- On The last partition in the destination drive you select it, then down the bottom click on Restore partition Properties -- Drag the slider on the right to make the partition smaller ( dont worry about being accurate in remaining space) , then drag and drop the other partitions that were left out. Set the image restore going. Once rebooted, THEN I boot from partition Software and simply drag the remaining space back to full size.

Here's a Quick Video on describing above ( apart from the resizing afterwards), it goes from a 1TB drive down to a 120GBSSD .

https://streamable.com/0aolx7
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-09-2021 at 07:25 AM.

wainuitech
    hi and thanks for the info. The vid was interesting, good to see it being done by a pro Some learned 'trickery' in there.
    OK I started the backup of the Samsung's 1TB HDD and it failed " Backup aborted.......Write operation failed.....Device not ready"
    Googled the Notification details and got multitudinous hits to read. Macrium Forums included.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=macriu...s=ds&form=QBRE

Still in the dark.
    Wondering if it is because the 4TB External Drive I had connected up to the Samsung to act as Destination Drive only has 341GB of available free space. Wouldn't think that would cause a prob because there are only 45GB to be imaged.
    I can't Export the Macrium Logfile so I copied-pasted it to Notepad.txt and am going to try to attach that. I don't think .txt files can be attached.
    It's after midnight and has been a long day so trying another external Drive as a Destination for the image is on the back burner 'til tomorrow arvo.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-09 231222.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	11086 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-09 231721.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	11087 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-09 232422.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	11088

Yep, the Log.txt is invalid so cannot send.

Old guy

I have only seen that red line when the destination drive does not have enough free space to receive the copy.

From Macrium Support
    The error "The Device Is Not Ready" is generic system error code returned by Windows, not a Macrium Reflect error. It literally is "Device not ready" but usually can be down to a disk not being readable or reachable. If you were previously able to backup to this disk without a problem then something may have degraded. To help isolate the cause, do you have an alternative disk that you can attempt a backup?
    Have seen problems where there's a fault (bad sectors normally) on the External Drive, or the USB Connection disconnects for some reason, either gets bumped or the Drive moved while imaging.

If it were lack of space - the error would be a obvious warning of not enough space.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I have only seen that red line when the destination drive does not have enough free space to receive the copy.
    CliveM
    Hi. I have seen red lines on other Drives, both internal and external, usually when it has less than 10% or 15% of its space capacity.
    Thanks (y)

Name:	RED STATUS BAR.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	11091

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...20to%20operate.

wainuitech
    Hi. Yeah I read all that about "The error "The Device Is Not Ready" is generic system error code returned by Windows, not a Macrium Reflect error." I am about to try another Drive.
    The strange thing is this: The Logfile that I couldn't submit here and I decided to not send as text I noticed had date for July 2021 and the size of the partition being read was about 180 GB so I removed the text from my reply last night. How on earth it can have a logfile for months ago I do not know. Macrium Reflect was only installed yesterday and had its first use last night.
    I will put a little of the log file here to show the date and time it was created. It was the only log in the folder, so basically, the image I was attempting to create did not create a logfile.and somehow managed to get an old image logfile.
    Here is the logfile:
    " Image ID - 0A91F94C5AF281B1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Imaging Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Backup Definition File: C:\Users\kioti\OneDrive\Documents\Reflect\My Backup(1).xml
    Auto Verify: N
    Maximum File Size: Automatic
    Compression: Medium
    Password: N
    Intelligent Copy: Y
    Power Saving: N
    Email On Success: N
    Email On Warning: N
    Email On Failure: N
    Total Selected: 158.11 GB
    Current Time: 1/06/2021 5:07:17 pm

Destination:
    Backup Type: Full
    File Name: E:\MACRIUM BACKUPS\0A91F94C5AF281B1-00-00.mrimg
    Operation 1 of 4
    Hard Disk: 1
    Drive Letter: N/A
    File System: FAT32 (LBA)
    Label: NO NAME
    Size: 96.0 MB
    Free: 69.6 MB
    Used: 26.4 MB
    Operation 2 of 4
    File System: Unformatted
    Label:
    Size: 16.0 MB
    Free: 0 B
    Used: 16.0 MB
    Operation 3 of 4
    Drive Letter: C
    File System: NTFS
    Label:
    Size: 476.34 GB
    Free: 318.67 GB
    Used: 157.66 GB
    Operation 4 of 4
    File System: NTFS
    Label:
    Size: 499.0 MB
    Free: 84.4 MB
    Used: 414.6 MB
    Starting Image - Tuesday, June 01, 2021 17:07:17
    Initializing
    Testing disk write speed
    Write Method: Using File System Cache
    Destination Drive: Elements (E - Free Space 829.72 GB
    Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 5.00 GB

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
    Volume Snapshots Created
    Analyzing file system on volume
    Analyzing file system on volume C:
    Analyzing file system on volume
    Saving Partition - NO NAME
    Reading File System Bitmap
    Saving Partition
    Saving Partition -
    Saving Partition
    Saving Partition - (C
    Saving Partition
    Saving Partition -
    Saving Partition
    Saving Index
    New File: 104 GB 0A91F94C5AF281B1-00-00.mrimg
    Retention Rules
    Rules will be applied to all matching backup sets in the destination folder

Differential: Retain 4 differential images
    Linked incremental images will also be deleted

Differential Backups: 0 found
    Nothing to delete
    I/O Performance: Read 7.3 Gb/s - Write 1.0 Gb/s
    Image Completed Successfully in 00:17:13
    Macrium Reflect v7.3.5925 - 55-MUB6XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................
    Shortly, I will again set about trying to do the Full Image.

Cheers

Ok, Job done. I used an External HDD with just under 1TB Free Space and the Full Image was created in 20 minutes. Pretty nippy for a 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM, 5400rpm HDD and USB2.
    Next up is to out the 1TB HDD and connect up the SSD, get into BIOS (UEFI? Not sure if the Samsung has UEFI. Will check shortly)set it to Boot and then do the Recovery.
    Now that poses a problem for me: How am I going to mount and recover the .mrimg as Macrium is not on the SSD.
    Looks like I have to go Googling.

CheersClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-10 111859.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	11095 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-10 112239.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	11096 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-10 112850.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	11097 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-10 114707.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	11098

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Now that poses a problem for me: How am I going to mount and recover the .mrimg as Macrium is not on the SSD.
    Looks like I have to go Googling.
    Make the bootable Media, either CD or USB from the working OS in Macrium.

Remove the original Drive, put in a Empty SSD, (dont try any fancy Formtting or partitions 1st -- DONT FIDDLE) plug in the USB drive with the Image, boot from the previous made Media, then as per the video - Put the Image back.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Make the bootable Media, either CD or USB from the working OS in Macrium.

Remove the original Drive, put in a Empty SSD, (dont try any fancy Formtting or partitions 1st -- DONT FIDDLE) plug in the USB drive with the Image, boot from the previous made Media, then as per the video - Put the Image back.
    Hi
    wainuitech, that got a wee bit confusing to me so what I did was create 3 Macrium Rescue Discs, 2 in my W10x64 Pro PC and 1 in the Samsung Laptop and not one of them booted into the W10/rescue option screen. They were fine when used to boot into on my PC. Looking through discs here I found a Macrium Rescue Disc I had created sometime in the past, thought I give that a spin, about 5 mins waiting it opened onscreen so I set about deleting the 3 partitions on the Samsung SSD: W10 x64 Pro was installed on it. Ended up having Unallocated space on the entire SSD.
    Connected external Drive, browsed in Macrium for the.mrimg and started recovery. It failed, saying not enough space, so I did the steps you gave about dragging the last partition to the left and created a 100GB partition, leaving about 350GB Unallocated space into which I dragged-dropped the 3rd partition of the .mring. All done with unallocated space remaining and the recovery was started.
    Job completed in 20 mins.
    Happy chappy here.
    Though I must say, Booting to a usable desktop is still taking 20 seconds, the same as it was when using the 1TB HDD. Maybe it needs to settle in

Cheers

Here is a pic of Disk Management showing the SSD's partitions.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-10 202708.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	11099 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-10 202820.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	11100
    Last edited by kioti; 10-09-2021 at 09:32 PM.

A question about the unallocated space on the SSD: to the best of my knowledge, as it is I can't add the space to the C: Partition because it is not adjacent to it so, can I extend the Recovery Partition (Disk 0 Partition 3) into the unallocated space and then shrink that partition to the right making it 520MB thus leaving Unallocated space to its left and then extend the (C: ) partition into the unallocated space?
    I ask because about 10 years ago I tried to shrink/extend/move partitions and miraculously managed to mulla the W7 OS MBR, it was scattered like my know-how and wouldn't boot. Required complete Diskwipe and reinstall of everything. I didn't use Disk Imaging software at that time.
    Thanks in advance