Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Advice on which of 2 Laptop/Notebooks to buy

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    wainuitech

Affordable Computers also listed another that they are getting in this week, I emailed originally on 12/08/21. The Device they will have in this week is a Dell Latitude E5470. $649
    Spec’s to be confirmed but definitely i5-6440HQ CPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14” Screen.

I will get an email away to them shortly and see if they now have the device and request full specs and info.

Cheers
    Just rereading some of your posts --- Be Careful !! The Reviews on that dell for example https://www.laptopmag.com/au/reviews...latitude-e5470
    The Dell Latitude E5470 is a powerhouse business laptop with a great display and keyboard, but below-average battery life.
    Not what you want.

Having a CPU that old 6th Gen, There are very few if any new Laptops with those CPU's, that's a 2016 - 2018 model.

More than Likely some of these will be Ex-lease (2nd hand) NOT NEW. As in bold in your quoted post -- That to me indicates they are Ex-Lease.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-08-2021 at 09:16 AM.

If you're happy going for used see if you can pick up a refurbished Lenovo Carbon X1. They have the same older CPUs but will most likely last a fair while longer (my first gen one is going nice and strong). The SSDs in them are speedy and the build quality is fantastic, as well as the battery life being excellent.

wainuitech
    Hi again. Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info. I know people still running W7x64 Pro and not having any issues
    I have been looking about and decided I will not pay between $150-$200 for a device running W10 and see what becomes available in the used market in 3-5years time.
    The Acer TravelMate appeals still because of its FHD, 1.1 Quad core and 4GB DDR4 RAM, and a price of $350 but the fact it's an SoC puts me off because in 3-5 years it's a $350 throw away. Could maybe sell for a couple of hundred, perhaps.
    TradeMe has several but the only problem is no can see and test before buy. And anything running a CPU that is not Gen8 is a waste of money.
    Cheers.

wainuitech
    Yep I'll steer clear of that Dell Latitude E5470.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    If you're happy going for used see if you can pick up a refurbished Lenovo Carbon X1. They have the same older CPUs but will most likely last a fair while longer (my first gen one is going nice and strong). The SSDs in them are speedy and the build quality is fantastic, as well as the battery life being excellent.
    baabits
    Hi and thanks. Yeah Lenova Carbon X1 I read about in postings from owners who were selling in TradeMe, they were upgrading. Worth a look.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    The Tosh is quite old.
    DDR3 = its old :-)
    You can do a search on the CPU to get a idea of age , its a CPU from 2012
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-2-60-ghz.html

I wouldnt pay more than $150 for that one.

Lots of better deals on trademe, but you cant get to look at them first unfortunately.
    Hi and thanks. Sorry for my late reply.Yeah, the Tosh is old and gen6 cpu and at $480 is well overpriced considering it becomes almost throw away material when W11 comes to town.
    I have been looking at TradeMe and seen a few but the only thing that turns me off about buying something from there is that they cannot be viewed and tested unless I live in the same town/city as the seller and they allow viewing/testing and pick up.
    Cheers

Ok. I purchased a Samsung Series 3 NP300V5A-S08AU. I cannot find a Users Manual for it but I did get one for the NP300V5A- that is the same for many models having a different set of numbers/letters after the hyphen. Amazingly, the 'S08AU' isn't included.
    She's an oldie, hardware includes: Intel i5 2430M CPU, Samsung 4GB 1600S 09 11 F3 DDR3-SDRAM, Intel (R) HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX Display adapters, Samsung HN M101 MBB 1TB HDD, TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-208BB Optic drive
    W10 x64 Home version 21H1 Build 19043.1202, instaled on 17/07/21
    Battery life from a full charge is 4 hours (depending on what one is doing but it lasts watching a 2-hour movie without an external power adapter connected.)
    I have installed MSOffice Pro Plus 2016 and I will instal Adobe PShop CC2015 and Bitdefender Total Security 2020 (I can instal it onto 3 more computers)
    The device boots to Desktop about 15-20 Seconds which I think is pretty good for a Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU and 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM.
    I paid $NZ250.00 for the device, bought from a shop in town that does repairs/upgrades/sales etc. I had looked on TradeMe for a device but decided to buy local.
    Now here is what I am considering doing, as 'upgrades'.
    To get a faster response:
    I have a Samsung EVO860 500GB SSD.... I could image the existing 1TB HDD, Load that to the SSD, buy an enclosure and use the 1TB HDD as external storage.
    Add another 4GB 1600S 09 11 F3 DDR3-SDRAM (I can get the same as the existing SDRAM... or buy another brands' matched pair of 4GB 1600S with the same timings
    I am also considering starting afresh and using W10 x64 Pro. I believe a new License will be necessary to change the OS from Home to Pro.
    Considering that MS is not going to support W10 when or sometime after W11 is released later this year and the Samsung NP300V5A device cannot be used to get the Free Upgrade to W11 because the CPU is not given the Thumbs Up to be able to run that new OS,
    the device will be left running W10 until some time in the future when another Lappy running W11 can be bought when someone is 'getting the next best thing' and selling the one they have.
    Then, the device I have will make a nice 'Home theatre' for the person to who it is being gifted.
    Questions are:
    Will an extra 4GB SDRAM improve the device responses? The giftee is not a gamer and will only use the device to browse the Web, a bit of Facebook chat and VidChat and using PShop, using the Optic Drive to play Music/Movie Media files and storing pictures, memories etc.
    I know the SSD will produce a faster response.
    As the Device is performing without any issues is it really going to be worthwhile spending $30 to $60 for either 1x4GB or 2x4GB respectively for an SDRAM increase?
    Will doing the 4-5 hours work to image the HDD and loading it to the SSD make any difference, because as it is, the device is acceptably responsive?
    I couldn't find a specs link for the Samsung NP300V5A-508AU device with Intel i5 2430M CPU, the closest I could get is shown at the link below

https://icecat.biz/p/vendorName/mpn/desc-15418288.html

This link details the Intel-Core-i5-2430M CPU
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-...r.53435.0.html

The attached pic shows all the models covered for the User Manual I downloaded. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NP300V5A MANUAL.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	11081

Changing a STD mechanical drive for a SSD will show a noticeable performance increase.

As for the manual, there's a W7 manual since that is what the original came with, but generally they are useless any way.

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/m...P300V5A-S08AU/

wainuitech
    Hi. Thanks for the link to the manual. I know they are not much cop really but it will be handy for the giftee to have it. I will DL-Save it to the Samsung device. I dunno how you managed to find the correct manual for the device (albeit for W7 but the basic device info is the same). I had been searching the web for hours looking for it. Cheers.
    Yep swapping the STD HDD for the SSD will be a good improvement and as for spending another $NZ30.00 for 4GB of SDRAM upgrade, well that won't break the bank and may prove worthwhile when she is using Adobe PShop/Illustrator/Lightroom and Designer apps.
    I think I will leave the OS to be W10x64 Home as opposed to changing to Pro... I did some Googling of W10 Home vs W10 Pro and the Home version has everything that will be needed. The giftee won't have any use for these extras in W10 Pro: BitLocker Encryption,
    WIP (Windows Information Protection), Group Policy Editor, Mobile Device Management, Microsoft Azure (and related services), kiosk Mode, Assigned Access, Windows Update for Business, and Microsoft Store for Business.
    I am going to instal Macrium Reflect in the Samsung and Image the 1TB HDD. Fortunately, the drive has only used 40GB having 890GB Free of 930GB. That being said, it can be a bit tricky imaging a large Drive having one partition and then transferring that image to a smaller Drive. I recall having an issue with that about 3-4 years ago. I will do a little research Googling on the subject.
    Oh, one other piece of System info re: the installed W10 Home OS is that it shows "Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0". I'm not sure what that means, I will Google it

Cheers and thanks.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...10-home-vs-pro

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    Last edited by kioti; 07-09-2021 at 09:40 PM.

I dunno how you managed to find the correct manual for the device
    You actually gave it

All I did was select your wording "Samsung Series 3 NP300V5A-S08AU" On google its the 1st result.

I am going to instal Macrium Reflect in the Samsung and Image the 1TB HDD. Fortunately, the drive has only used 40GB having 890GB Free of 930GB. That being said, it can be a bit tricky imaging a large Drive having one partition and then transferring that image to a smaller Drive
    Narrrr that's easy as well, you create an image using an external USB drive as the location to store it, then if you put it back to a smaller drive, using Macrium you can manually adjust the partition sizes if it doesn't automatically adjust. Made videos on how to do it as others have asked as well in the past.

Remember when making the Image, if only 40GB is used then the image due to compression will be even smaller than that, you don't image the empty space.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-09-2021 at 07:10 AM.