Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Advice on which of 2 Laptop/Notebooks to buy

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Just relating to these from Affordable Computers -- Personally wouldn't touch them. They currently will be obsolite when W11 comes out.

Currently the CPU is not Supported and highly doubt it will be. Those are Gen 6, Currently the oldest W11 will run on is Gen 8. If you dont want to be able to upgrade it to W11 then thats fine.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

Theres going to be a LOT of older models on sale that wont be compatible. (for that reason)

Also keep an eye on Screen sizes some look cheaper as they have tiny Screens.

Same answer as Previous -OK if you don't want to use W11, 6th Gen CPU's

On the previous linked page, the easiest way to check if a CPU ( intel) is currently supported - Open the page, press ctrl+F (find) Then start typing in the CPU. Example:

i5-6 wont bring up anything, try i5-7 same thing, try i5-8 and higher and you get results.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-08-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Be VERY careful with those cheaper options and SSD drives. Had a laptop a customer gave me to upgrade about 3 weeks ago, had a 128GB Drive-- The Gotya!! was it was a inbuilt Drive/Chip-- and couldn't be removed and upgraded to a larger drive.
    wainuitech
    Hi and thanks. I was thinking about that inbuilt drive that cannae be removed/upgraded. On one of the devices I looked at it said the HDD was 'Fixed'..... I thought does that mean it's Fixed as unremovable or Fixed as in repaired. As far as I can recall, when I was out looking this time last week, that was not stated on either of the two I mentioned in my thread and was/am considering.
    Def don't want any unremovable, upgradeable HDD's, SSD's and def not soldered in RAM!
    As for the other two from Affordable Computers, the HP ProBook 640 G2 has USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB-C, Optic Drive but no HDMI and no webcam mentioned ... and the Toshiba Portege has 3 xUSB 3.2 Gen 1, HDMI and VGA and webcam but no Optic Drive. damnation! However, if I opted for the Portege because it has HDMI then I purchase an external Optic Drive.
    I've as good as given the Acer TravelMate a thumbs-down. Seems to be 'too cheap' for what it has available. Could be a pin in a poke. I think it would suit a student, aimed at this who cannot attend School and are using 'ZOOM' or some other method to attend classes from behind their Computer.

Affordable Computers also listed another that they are getting in this week, I emailed originally on 12/08/21. The Device they will have in this week is a Dell Latitude E5470. $649
    Spec’s to be confirmed but definitely i5-6440HQ CPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14” Screen.

I will get an email away to them shortly and see if they now have the device and request full specs and info.

Cheers
    Last edited by kioti; 19-08-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Older by the minute

wainuitech

Affordable Computers also listed another that they are getting in this week, I emailed originally on 12/08/21. The Device they will have in this week is a Dell Latitude E5470. $649
    Spec’s to be confirmed but definitely i5-6440HQ CPU, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 14” Screen.

I will get an email away to them shortly and see if they now have the device and request full specs and info.

Cheers
    Will be the same as last two replies above, the 6th Gen CPU's WONT be able to run W11 should you want to use it.

heres a different List -- Known CPU's that WONT run W11 https://allthings.how/list-of-all-in...by-windows-11/ Guess What's on the list of WONT work Why by a laptop that's obsolete within a short time.

This is Of not concern if it Doesn't want to be upgraded in the future. But IF you do ----
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-08-2021 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Just relating to these from Affordable Computers -- Personally wouldn't touch them. They currently will be obsolite when W11 comes out.

Currently the CPU is not Supported and highly doubt it will be. Those are Gen 6, Currently the oldest W11 will run on is Gen 8. If you dont want to be able to upgrade it to W11 then thats fine.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors

Theres going to be a LOT of older models on sale that wont be compatible. (for that reason)

Also keep an eye on Screen sizes some look cheaper as they have tiny Screens.
    wainuitech
    yeah, W11 huh. It has just recently become known to me. I have read threads in here regarding it and the upset people are finding that their existing Computer's hardware is as good as not usable and they now are having to fork out for new MB, CPU, Mouse and Keyboard. Virtually need to buy the latest Computers/Laptops for a whack of the folding stuff.
    So that being said, how long before MS stop doing Updates for W10 and render it a Security risk? I think that the devices I have been looking at are really all of no use whatsoever because all are out of date in the Hardware dept. May as well buy some old thing for $100-$150 and run W10 on it until it is defunct.... 3-5years perhaps (?) and save up to buy a used lappy that has W11 up and running on it.
    Food for thought. Just my luck huh.... I'm going to get a BD Gift for someone and it comes off the Ark. MS love me
    I will have a look at the link you supplied.

Cheers

wainuitech
    just had a skim through the link you sent re: Processors that will not run W11.... Both the Intel i5 6300U and the Intel i5 6440HQ won't run W11.
    Now I am going to go shudder my way through AMD's listings. Betcha both the Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 5 2600 I currently using in two PC's and running W10 Pro x64 version 21H1 Build 19043.1165 are going to be on the list of expendables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAKE MY DAY.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	11046

wainuitech

So that being said, how long before MS stop doing Updates for W10 and render it a Security risk?

Cheers
    (Currently) Microsoft is ending support for Windows 10 on October 14th, 2025

May sound like a long time off, but its not really. Its closing in on 2022 So if the dates don't change about 3 1/2 years.

Some versions already have gone end of support https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lif...0-home-and-pro

There will more than likely be "Hacks" come out that will bypass the hardware requirements BUT who knows how long they will work until an "update" Breaks the "hack" and render the Computer unbootable.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-08-2021 at 10:01 PM.

1/ Toshiba Satellite P840, 4GB DDR3, Intel i5 Dual-core,(either Intel Core i5 3317U or Intel Core i5 3337U ...[/url]
    The Tosh is quite old.
    DDR3 = its old :-)
    You can do a search on the CPU to get a idea of age , its a CPU from 2012
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-2-60-ghz.html

I wouldnt pay more than $150 for that one.

Lots of better deals on trademe, but you cant get to look at them first unfortunately.