Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Advice on which of 2 Laptop/Notebooks to buy

Why even bother imaging it ?
    install the SSD, do a clean Win10 install. Re-install Office etc. Or clone from old HD .

If upgrading RAM, make sure its actually compatible with any extra ram. Some older laptops had a RAM limit .
    Go to Kingston (memory) website , search for that laptop & it will tell you the max RAM & what RAM it needs

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Why even bother imaging it ?
    install the SSD, do a clean Win10 install. Re-install Office etc. Or clone from old HD .

If upgrading RAM, make sure its actually compatible with any extra ram. Some older laptops had a RAM limit .
    Go to Kingston (memory) website , search for that laptop & it will tell you the max RAM & what RAM it needs
    Think you'll find most IT companies who upgrade HDD to SSD with first try to clone the old drive. If it works then way less hassle trying to reinstall everything again though in saying that when I upgraded my desktop the clone failed so it was a new install. Same happened to my wife's laptop done by an IT company and they couldn't cone it but installed a new version of Win 10 though they did screwup by installing the wrong version of Office.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Hi. I will image that which is on the HDD for two reasons; 1/loading it back to the SSD will take much less time than doing a fresh instal of W10 Home, DLoadin and installing all Security and Feature updates and other Programs etc that are already in place. Also, I do not know how to Clone from an old HDDrive to another or SSD, 2/ As insurance against Murphy's Law happening if I do a Fresh Instal of W10 x64 Home and all else as mentioned.
    I went to Kingston Memory website, entered the Samsung name and full Model number and was informed the Search did not produce any results. They only had 1600MHz 1.35v. The Samsung device is 1333MHz 1.5v

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/c...uffered-sodimm

I can buy from TradeMe, the same spec SDRAM that is running now, cost $NZ30.00 or an 8GB Kit of it for $60.00. I will do an overnight think about upgrading with another 4GB SDRAM.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KINGSTON MEMORY SEARCH.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	11082

Thanks

paulw
    Hi
    Yep I will try the Image/Clone method to begin with and if it fails then it'll be the long road home.
    Sorry to hear about the clone failures for both you and your wife's computers.

Thanks

wainuitech
    hi
    "Narrrr that's easy as well, you create an image using an external USB drive as the location to store it, then if you put it back to a smaller drive, using Macrium you can manually adjust the partition sizes if it doesn't automatically adjust. Made videos on how to do it as others have asked as well in the past.
    Remember when making the Image, if only 40GB is used then the image due to compression will be even smaller than that, you don't image the empty space."

Was thinking do I have to partition the 1TB HDD to have, say a 100GB Partition and leave the remaining say 300GB as Unallocated Space. Imaging the (C100GB NTFS Partition that contains OS etc and then load that into the SSD. If all works out then I can wipe/format the 1TB HDD and use it as external storage.

When you said "Remember when making the Image, if only 40GB is used then the image due to compression will be even smaller than that, you don't image the empty space." did you mean that the empty space on the 1TB HDD will not be imaged and only the used 40GB of space will be in the created macrium.img?

Cheers

Searching for the RAM (SDRAM) capacity and speed MHz that is supported by the Intel i5 2430M CPU. It will run 1600MHz, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB (Dependent on Memory type). I am not sure what Gen the i5 is, Gen 2 or Gen 5.

https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/...rocessors.html

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_...0i5-2430M.html
    Last edited by kioti; 08-09-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Older by the minute

It's Gen 2. The 2 at the front of 2430M gives it away. If it was say i5 7300 it would be Gen 7. You will need to make sure you use only the Gen that is applicable to that motherboard!

When you said "Remember when making the Image, if only 40GB is used then the image due to compression will be even smaller than that, you don't image the empty space." did you mean that the empty space on the 1TB HDD will not be imaged and only the used 40GB of space will be in the created macrium.img?
    That's correct. No need to repartition the large drive. Macrium only images the used space unless you change the settings to sector by sector, THEN it would image the Complete drive used and empty. (bit point less if you ask me)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That's correct. No need to repartition the large drive. Macrium only images the used space unless you change the settings to sector by sector, THEN it would image the Complete drive used and empty. (bit point less if you ask me)
    wainuitech
    Hi
    Thanks for the info. I haven't used Macrium for a while. I will create the image later today.
    I was going to say earlier that the problem I had a few years ago with the image created of an HDD that was larger than the intended recipient HDD and wouldn't fit the smaller HDD was because I created a sector x sector image. At that time I think I was using the Easeus Todo Backup Free or Home (Trial). That must be close to a decade ago when I was using W7 x64 Pro.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    It's Gen 2. The 2 at the front of 2430M gives it away. If it was say i5 7300 it would be Gen 7. You will need to make sure you use only the Gen that is applicable to that motherboard!
    Bryan
    Hi.
    Thanks. I thought the 2430M meant its Frequency is 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz Turbo and the M meant Mobile, for Mobile devices.

Cheers.