Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did you have a crystal set?

We lived in Wellington in the early 50s and my father got me a crystal set. He put up a long line aerial down the side of the house and I listened to it in bed.

Crystal sets are not very selective. We lived just below Mt Victoria where there is a transmitter and until 10pm, when the station closed down, that was all I could receive. So although I was supposed to be going to sleep, I was waiting until 10pm so that I could listen to the other stations - 2YA, 2ZB and 2YC - which had their transmitters (and still do) at Titahi Bay.

As I remember, crystal sets were fairly popular. Did anyone else have a crystal set?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Did you have a crystal set?

Yes. I bought one from SOS Radio when I was a school in Hamilton. My father had to take proof with him that we had a radio license otherwize I would have to had a new one for the crystal set. They sounded quite good fore their day . Could only get 1XH Hamilton but when we moved to Auckland we could get 1YA, 1YC, 1ZB and 1YD . Seemed like heaven at the time.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Oh yes, that's what I listened to the Goon Show and the beginning of Rock 'n Roll on the Top 10 Hits! Thought it was wonderful in those days. Bill Haley rulz!!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

I had one of those electronics education sets, where you make xtal sets, buzzers & beepers etc.

I had a small batt powered AM radio when was 8, so xtal set wasnt really needed . Built one, tested, never used again

No such thing as small battery powered radio when I was a kid. hence the need for chrystal set. I think there was a portable radio available those days. My friends rich parents owned one and it was huge! Pretty rare though.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Husband told me once he built one when he was a kid, really pleased with himself and the set.....
    Ex-pctek

Lost count of how many I built before progressing to a Hikers One.

The Aerial was the most important so that went to the top of a fully grown Pine Tree.

Because the tree would bend in a wind the aerial had to be attached via a pulley and window sash weight.

However, if the aerial did break in a storm the emergency aerial was the wire-wove under your bed.

Safety in a thunder storm was a car spark-plug screwed into a socket attached to a length of 3/4 galv pipe driven into the ground in the garden under your window.

Mother watering her garden made for a good earth. No Cones or Fluro's were used in the construction.

Texting was done courtesy of Morse Code.

Seems like yesterday.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

B.M. That brings back memories. It looks like I went through the same stages of building electronics that you did. I recall building a crystal set in a match box.

Then progressed to the Hikers One which was followed by other electronics and an interest in Morse transmission. Those were the days. I guess a lot of us have similar stories to tell.

No, I had a 1 valve set from Bond and Bond which worked quite well. Then I got a small National leather clad transistor set which lasted for years and years. It cost me 20pounds to buy from a seafarer, and may have been one of the first in NZ. Everyone who saw it wanted to buy it from me.,,,,,,,,,then the Army gave me a ZC1.
    Last edited by Richard; 17-08-2021 at 04:13 PM.

That rings a bell Richard. I bought one of those National transistor radios from my boss just after I came to Napier in 1963. I think I paid about 20 quid as well. It also lasted for years and the leather was covered in paint from when I redecorated our first house. Great radio!!

Ken