Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Did you have a crystal set?

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    B.M. That brings back memories. It looks like I went through the same stages of building electronics that you did. I recall building a crystal set in a match box.

Then progressed to the Hikers One which was followed by other electronics and an interest in Morse transmission. Those were the days. I guess a lot of us have similar stories to tell.
    Pato, since I wrote that post memories kept flooding back and when you mentioned a matchbox crystal set, OA85 glass Germanium Diode or equivalent 1N34 popped up.

My sets were the old Cats Whisker type where the Cats Whisker was too big for a matchbox.

When those little glass diodes came in I had moved onto Hikers One's. Struth, as I typed that 1Q5GT and DL36 popped up. (They were the valve equivalents with 1Q5GT being the better.)
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Oh yes, that's what I listened to the Goon Show and the beginning of Rock 'n Roll on the Top 10 Hits! Thought it was wonderful in those days. Bill Haley rulz!!

Ken
    You silly twisted boy, you.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

I remember making one but I don't recall it being successful. I also remember climbing out onto the roof and attaching a wire that I ran about 50M up the bank behind our house and attaching it to a tree to use as an aerial. First windy night the tree moved too much and snapped it. Version 2 had a post in the bank.
    I enjoyed doing that stuff. I used to have a couple books with a lot of designs for crystal sets and basic transistor radios.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

That is a fond memory of mine. Thank you for bringing that up.

Yes I built or a friend helped me in 1960 in Gisborne. I heard Halberg and Snell's Rome Gold medals listening on it. When we next moved to Te Awamutu in 1961 we moved to a newly built house high on a hil.had a longer higher aerial and my bedroom was higher off the ground but for some reason my reception was more erratic than it had been in Gisborne

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

I actually saw a ZC1 a couple of weeks ago at an army surplus place in k rd.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.