Older by the minute

Default Migrating from old PC to m/b upgrade.

I am considering an upgrade from my ASUS Sabertooth P67 m/b to an Asus H570. This is so I can enjoy W11 when it becomes available.

It is only a consideration at present but what do I use to transfer my programs and files from the old system to the new? Will it be necessary to reinstall third party programs or will they safely carry across?

How do I transfer my Windows Pro, activation from the old to the new? Anything I have forgotten?

Default Re: Migrating from old PC to m/b upgrade.

Programs you cant transfer, you really need to reinstall them. Data always pays to backup first anyway.

BUT you may be able to simply plug in the original Drive to the New board, when starting for the 1st time it will go through installing components, then you can install new drivers, you will more than likely have to reactivate Windows ( since its new hardware and the Licence is connected to the motherboard) , should be a simple case of enter existing original Product Key and it "should" reactivate.

Keep in mind -- This may or may not work, ( doesn't always) as Microsoft say a new board is a New Computer and you need to buy a new Licence, Unless its a Retail version, which can be transferred.

Have a read https://www.windowscentral.com/how-t...-or-hard-drive

There are programs about that remove the original drivers and get the install ready for new hardware if needed.

Edited: Keep in mind also, its NOT just the motherboard for W11, its the CPU as well. Not all CPU's are currently on the approved list. My own Office PC is the same, ALL hardware is fine and shown as Approved EXCEPT the CPU And the motherboard wont take a "Approved" upgrade.

Run whynot11 https://www.whynotwin11.com/download/ Yellow download button on that page.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 15-08-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

You could run sysprep on your current drive and just plonk it into the new system. Sysprep basically keeps all your data and regenerates all the SID info and sets the OS to the OOB experience. So all your apps, documents user accounts etc. will remain intact. You will need to create a temp account to get through the OOB process but should be able to just login with your previous username once that is completed. You will also need to re-activate Windows.

BEFORE YOU RUN SYSPREP

Check that you have the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" installed under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section in Device Manager. Sometimes chipset specific drivers can cause issues i.e. device won't boot when you run the sysprepped disk.
    If you have any "vendor" specific utility software from the motherboard manufacturer installed... REMOVE it before running sysprep.... this is another issue I ran into...

I only recommend this because you're going from Intel to Intel... it works with Intel to AMD and vice versa. I had a slight hiccup with migrating from a Z370 platform to X570 when I just put the drive into the new system (had a USB issue) but once I did a clean install of Windows, everything was fine.... you may not have this issue seen as you're staying with Intel. You could just clone your existing disk and put it into the new system and see what happens, if all good no worries but if something goes wrong at least you wouldn't have "bricked" your system...

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    what do I use to transfer my programs and files from the old system to the new? Will it be necessary to reinstall third party programs or will they safely carry across?

The easiest is to make an image of your drives and reimage.
    If the motherboard isn't too far different issues with drivers are minimal.

The hard way is to back up your data, reinstall windows, do all the drivers and then reinstall all your software programs then copy your data back over.
    Ex-pctek

You can usually just use the existing HD & the existing Win10 install with the new MB/CPU
    You might need to install some drivers & re-activate w10 , but should work . Assuming the old MD was setup as UEFI etc .

Is Win11 so much better that you need to spend the $$ on a new system ?
    As noted above, if its more than a few years old, you may also need a new CPU to run W11

Older by the minute

The present rig works well with Windows 10 but the intel cpu is only 2nd generation. The rig is 10 years old but performs well. At this time I am just considering my options to see what I could possibly get that is available at this time. For an ASUS H570 prime M/B, i5 11500 CPU and 3200 Ram it looks like about $750. Everything else will stay in the Antec P280 case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The rig is 10 years old .
    ah, new information
    honestly, I would do a clean install. Start from scratch, dont bring across years of bloat & orphaned stuff .

Get a new SSD , another case & new PSU . (a case is dirt cheap) . Fresh install on new build, keep the old PC as a a backup .
    Spending over $700 , just do it right . I wouldnt be keen on using old hardware on a new build .

Ignore windows 11 until your hardware fails or you buy a new pc, that's my plan. Windows 10 will be fine for a few more years.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Just a bit of a warning --- If you are going to try and use the same Install, make sure you make a image of the original Drive 1st in case something goes wrong.

Just doing a similar change over Now, Replacing a Motherboard, CPU etc. Its nothing to do with W11, Original MB playing up.

Just as well I made an Image 1st, used the installed Macrium making a image from the working OS to a External USB

This PC has had two Partitions on the drive, 1st being the OS, 2nd storage, went to boot and WTF !! No bootable devices

Put the drive on a workshop PC for a look see and somehow, the 1st partition along with the complete operating system had gone AWOL and the 2nd had expanded out to take the whole drive.

After repartitioning the drive back to two partitions and loading back the Image, it booted fine.

Had to reactivate and install Drivers but that's no big deal.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 17-08-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Older by the minute

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I am now using Macrium to backup my system instead of Aomei and/or Acronis. Backed up to an external HDD and about to create a bootable DVD.

Like Dugi I think I will wait a little while before upgrading my system.