Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Ethernet extender using power socket outlet

I've been using the TP-Link AV600 for a couple of years now, with no complaints whatsoever.
    The fibre modem is downstairs, my computer is upstairs, and it's working fine running from an old 1960s build to a newer 1980s part of the house.
    Most def not all on the same circuit, so the signal is going through 2 fuses in the old fusebox before it gets to its destination (unless it uses the ground wire for the signal??).

I don't stream anything other than Youtube high def stuff, but I do torrent at times, and have no beef about the speeds. A 1GB torrent can be received within 30 mins easily, and that is dependant on a peer/seed that's likely on a home computer in the USA or Europe. Ordinary internet browsing - no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    I've been using the TP-Link AV600 for a couple of years now, with no complaints whatsoever.
    The fibre modem is downstairs, my computer is upstairs, and it's working fine running from an old 1960s build to a newer 1980s part of the house.
    Most def not all on the same circuit, so the signal is going through 2 fuses in the old fusebox before it gets to its destination (unless it uses the ground wire for the signal??).

I don't stream anything other than Youtube high def stuff, but I do torrent at times, and have no beef about the speeds. A 1GB torrent can be received within 30 mins easily, and that is dependant on a peer/seed that's likely on a home computer in the USA or Europe. Ordinary internet browsing - no problems whatsoever.
    I think it has to be on the Same phase and if the house is Single Phase all is good. However, if your house was on Two or Three Phase that is when the trouble starts.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    ...AX can do 1.2Gbps...
    I will be extremely surprised if you can get anything like this speed in real-life.

Labs yes, your house, no.

I bought this one about 6 months ago https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...ine-Kit-with-A and it hasn't had an issue, max speed is about 90Mbits. Before this one I had a D-Link DHP-P309AV. It left a little to be desired. Max speed was about 45Mbits and it needed a power reset about every 3 to 4 weeks. Ethernet cable would be better but not practical in the house I'm in .
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by decibel View Post
    I will be extremely surprised if you can get anything like this speed in real-life.

Labs yes, your house, no.
    Yes correct, that is theoretical and achievable if you had a single AX device talking to the router (and nothing else)... I usually get about 800-900Mbps transfer speeds from my NAS (35GB file) - Glasswire rates the transfer speed at 1Gbps (probably using some funny machinations in the background) but this is still far better than the previous AC connection I was using which was connecting at 867Mps but the average transfer speed was about 400-420Mbps - my backups finish in half the time on AX compared to the previous AC connection and my Internet speed tests over AX Wi-Fi are much closer (700-800Mbps) to the 1Gbps connection I have versus when I was on the AC which would range between 400-500Mbps.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W