Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Hosting

Default Website Hosting

Something different.

I have had a little website that has been running for a few years now, but the hosts have been causing me problems, so, I would like to host my own.

How difficult is it and what are the pros and cons?
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Default Re: Website Hosting

It's not too bad, but for it to work well you'll need either a Static IP or Dynamic DNS so that the site can consistently resolve to your web server.

You can run a web server from home quite easily. Would highly recommend running Virtualmin (https://www.virtualmin.com) in an Ubuntu Virtual Machine as it's basically a turnkey solution. Adding Cloudflare's free plan on top of that would give you free SSL certificates and a layer of protection for your home network as well.

Pros are it can use your local connection, you get to keep a hold of all your data, no monthly fees paid to providers.

Cons are you have to manage it without support (though you have us lol ), if your internet at home goes down then the site goes down, you have to have the hardware to run it and that hardware has to stay on all the time for the site to stay alive all the time.

As an aside, there are many cheap VPS's and hosting packages, though I feel your pain when you talk about hosting companies. Most tend to be trash. For my own sites, I use a VPS running Ubuntu/Virtualmin from OVH. It is hosted in Canada and has only gone down once in three years (was promptly fixed), and I pay $6 USD a month for it for 1 CPU Core, 2GB RAM and 40GB SSD Storage. It runs a few lite sites and my personal email addresses all through Virtualmin and barely has 20% utilisation.

The difference between a VPS and a hosting package is that with the VPS, they are giving you a Virtual Machine to do as you please with so you can roll it yourself. A hosting package manages it all for you and gives you a hosting control panel to manage your site.

If you want to test running a VPS, AWS offers a free tier for 12 months where you can create one. It's about the same speed as my VPS, and you can do whatever you like with it- a good trial run.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post

You can run a web server from home
    Pros are it can use your local connection, you get to keep a hold of all your data, no monthly fees paid to providers.

Cons are you have to manage it without support
    Yep, a good learning experience.
    Then when there is an issue in the middle of the night, you yourself will need to attend to it immediately, and not sit on the phone moaning to the hosters helpdesk.
    Ex-pctek

Cons

You need to open ports on your router/firewall
    you WILL be constantly attacked by hackers trying to get in .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Cons

You need to open ports on your router/firewall
    you WILL be constantly attacked by hackers trying to get in .
    Yeah, this is one reason why Cloudflare's free plan is so good. You can open your router or web server's firewall on DMZ to Cloudflare only, and in turn Cloudflare handles all the traffic and forwards it to you.

They have a great UI for managing rules and are excellent at filtering bots and bad requests.

Thanks everyone.

Cloudflare sounds interesting baabits, Iíll follow up on that.

The problems Iím trying to fix are as follows.

I wasnít getting any traffic and I find people are being warned off the site because the security certificate hadnít been renewed but they had taken the money.

I have two site names, just spelt differently, with one directing to the other. Ones name wasnít renewed but the money was taken.

Then I notice $60 had been taken out of my credit card.

It turns out that when I had to buy back my site name I was offered a website building programme which I had no use for so I ignored it. Well they consider you have accepted if you havenít specifically declined. As you have probably guessed all hell broke loose and they agreed to cancel the sale, but, they would keep the money which I could use to purchase something else.

So then Iím faced with claiming it back with Visa which in turn entailed cancelling my existing card and waiting for another to be issued.

I got my money back but who the hell wants to do business with outfits like these?

What Iím looking at is a separate computer, probably with Linux Mint as a Operating System and whatever else to make things work.

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Ive also had painfull experiences dealing with a few foreign hosting providers and trying to sort out the mess . A warning sign is when they predend to be NZ based but arnt . Or some other company is just reselling their services .

You still need a domain name hosting service/provider , you'll want to move that to another provider .
    So why not just host website & domain name with the same provider/service ?

cons , additional
    You may need to get a new security cert & install that on your server , a painfull experience if you havnt done it before .
    Last edited by 1101; 12-08-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Ive also had painfull experiences dealing with a few foreign hosting providers and trying to sort out the mess . A warning sign is when they predend to be NZ based but arnt . Or some other company is just reselling their services .

You still need a domain name hosting service/provider , you'll want to move that to another provider .
    So why not just host website & domain name with the same provider/service ?

cons , additional
    You may need to get a new security cert & install that on your server , a painfull experience if you havnt done it before .
    Yes I thought I was dealing with a NZ Companies but my $60 was recovered from the Philippines.

The rest is work in progress.

Cloudflare looks good, but can it handle a website built with Incomedia-Website X5-Evolution 10?

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Cloudflare looks good, but can it handle a website built with Incomedia-Website X5-Evolution 10?
    Cloudflare isn't a host, it's a CDN.

You still need your own host behind them, but they have a free tier that is good enough for 90% of sites out there.

They are just the middle man that sits between the world and your web server, adds in SSL and forwards all the traffic to your web server.