Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ethernet extender using power socket outlet

Remember vaguely that someone was talking about using the power outlet as a means to extend the ethernet cable coverage in a home network.

Is there such a thing? I want to extend it to the upstairs PC.

Old guy

Default Re: Ethernet extender using power socket outlet

Yes there is Google ethernet over power and you will find them. I have never used one but understand they can work well however both ends of the link over the power line need to be on the same circut.

C64 Rules

Carlos maybe king, but Merts is God!!

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Remember vaguely that someone was talking about using the power outlet as a means to extend the ethernet cable coverage in a home network.

I would go with a Wifi 6 (ax) mesh network instead, yes a little more $$$ than a powerline setup but I have found that with the powerline adapters, you have to buy the pricier models to get 500Mbps+ over the wire...the link will say 1Gbps but if you perform a file transfer the speeds you get are closer to 100Mbps.... plus you are also reliant on how well your electrical circuits are setup. So you might as well spend the extra $$$ and get wireless AX/AC mesh.... AX can do 1.2Gbps.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    I would go with a Wifi 6 (ax) mesh network instead, yes a little more $$$ than a powerline setup but I have found that with the powerline adapters, you have to buy the pricier models to get 500Mbps+ over the wire...the link will say 1Gbps but if you perform a file transfer the speeds you get are closer to 100Mbps.... plus you are also reliant on how well your electrical circuits are setup. So you might as well spend the extra $$$ and get wireless AX/AC mesh.... AX can do 1.2Gbps.
    +1

Powerline Kits are a option of last resort .
    they do work where mesh kits & extenders wont work.
    Ive installed plenty of them , where wifi wont go through floors or multiple walls & is no option to run cabling

The are far from perfect , but can get the job done at a reduced speed. ie its better than no wifi access

A mesh kit , without wired backhaul , is a glorified extender . And we all hate wifi extenders . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Powerline Kits are a option of last resort .
    they do work where mesh kits & extenders wont work.
    Ive installed plenty of them , where wifi wont go through floors or multiple walls & is no option to run cabling

The are far from perfect , but can get the job done at a reduced speed. ie its better than no wifi access

A mesh kit , without wired backhaul , is a glorified extender . And we all hate wifi extenders . :-)
    Done exactly the same, installed quite a few where even wireless wont work. Theres basically two types, the Devices that are at the end can either be a wireless access point or straight Ethernet. Obviously the Wireless will be more expensive.

The Main ones I use are linked, and sometimes use different combinations ( Wireless Passthrough etc)

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-netw...tl-wpa4220kit/

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-netw...l-pa4010p-kit/

The "mesh" aren't as cracked up as some think. Seen several where rooms still get dead spots, all depends on the layout of the buildings.

Went to one house they had problems with the Mesh system they paid a large amount for, (over $500) plugged in my old outdated EOP devices that I use for testing / Demos, and that outperformed their expensive mesh. To say they were not impressed is an understatement

Sometimes a newer wifi router (or AP) and newer devices make all the difference
    My new(ish) Home Spark Smart router & my newer tablets give me usable wifi where the old router & old tablets were unusable with wifi (room at far end of my house)

One issue with powerline kits I come across is people(teenagers) unplug them , then wonder why wifi doesnt work
    So get called back , just to plug it back in .

With all these various options , you have to buy hardware , then hope like hell it fixes the issue .
    At least ask if you can return it if it doesnt fix the wifi issues .

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post

Where do you live? If you are in Nth Canterbury I could lend you a TPLink set that I no longer need. If it works for you you could either buy my set 2nd hand, or return it and buy a new set. No obligation!

I'm using the power for a remote computer and it is fine for getting E-Mails and a bit of browsing, but not much chop for downloading Movies or other large files.

Here is my Speedtest on 100/20 Fibre,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speed Test.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	11038 but my other computers go close to what I'm paying for.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.