Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wifi from the mailbox?

I'm getting increasingly lazy in my old age, and with NZ Post's deliveries being more and more erratic I am finding it a real pain to walk all the way down to the mailbox just to find nothing there.
    What I would like to do is have the mailbox notify me when something is put into it, but I'm not sure how to implement it. I'm going to need some sort of sensor - either a pressure plate or a movement sensor, and some hardware/software to actually send a notification - SMS, email or whatever.
    Any suggestions as to what to do and how to do it?
    TIA
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Wifi from the mailbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm getting increasingly lazy in my old age, and with NZ Post's deliveries being more and more erratic I am finding it a real pain to walk all the way down to the mailbox just to find nothing there.
    What I would like to do is have the mailbox notify me when something is put into it, but I'm not sure how to implement it. I'm going to need some sort of sensor - either a pressure plate or a movement sensor, and some hardware/software to actually send a notification - SMS, email or whatever.
    TIA
    Hmm interesting

Ring used to have a mailbox sensor but it would require a bridge.

Found this on US Amazon- the mailbox side sensor runs on AA batteries and it has an 800ft range. Might be a good way to do it, and isn't too expensive. Not the hardware/software you were looking for but the house side box would light up whenever it detects mail. Kinda like a doorbell. https://www.amazon.com/Mailbox-Briid.../dp/B08CXJ2Y26

Otherwise it would be a fun project to build one with a raspberry pi and a sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Otherwise it would be a fun project to build one with a raspberry pi and a sensor.
    I think that's the approach I'd like to take rather than a packaged solution, but the question is going to be whether I have to hardware/software smarts to do it.

I think that's the approach I'd like to take rather than a packaged solution, but the question is going to be whether I have to hardware/software smarts to do it.
    Found this for you- whatever you choose to do please keep us up to date. Would love to hear how you get on with it, it's a great idea.

https://jussiroine.com/2021/06/build...reless-sensor/

https://www.hackster.io/andrewstein/...iations-56158f

Thanks for the links. Those certainly cover what I am thinking about doing. Of course now I actually have to get of my chuff and do something about it - which may take a while...

TIA
    Is your mail box with a lid, or just a slot?

If it was a lid, you could put a contact sensor on the lid and then you could be notified of that....I had a zigbee contact sensor on mine for a while for this reason.
    If it's a slot, then yes you'll need something to detect weight or disturbance to then trigger a notification.

Depends if you want to build something, or buy off the shelf.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    Is your mail box with a lid, or just a slot?

If it was a lid, you could put a contact sensor on the lid and then you could be notified of that....I had a zigbee contact sensor on mine for a while for this reason.
    If it's a slot, then yes you'll need something to detect weight or disturbance to then trigger a notification.

Depends if you want to build something, or buy off the shelf.
    It has a slot. I'd like to build something if I can - there are lots of off-the-shelf solutions around. Baabits posted a couple of interesting links.

I've seen stuff with a weight sensor on a little arduino (D1 mini or the like). Or if it's got a slot, put a real light flap over the back that will be disturbed if a ltter comes in, then you could just use a reed switch.

I have a d1 mini and a reed switch on my garage door, so I know when it's opened (the wind can set it off)
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    I've seen stuff with a weight sensor on a little arduino (D1 mini or the like). Or if it's got a slot, put a real light flap over the back that will be disturbed if a ltter comes in, then you could just use a reed switch.

I have a d1 mini and a reed switch on my garage door, so I know when it's opened (the wind can set it off)
    Yes, the weight sensor idea was one that occurred to me.

Change the box? Ours has a glass panel door. I can see it from the lounge. I painted the inside black and now letters and small parcels, white, brown, whatever....stand out clearly.....even my mum can see from there now.

Couriers all know to leave packages round back on the table on deck, and they all do.

Also mail is only delivered certain days of the week now, look up which are your days....
    Ex-pctek