Wanderer

Default Wall clocks - that plugs to the wall instead?

Anyone know something of this? I have hunted around and there doesn't appear to be any, they all tend to be AA battery operated ones and then there are smart clocks or Google Alexa compatible but they tend to be like a small tablet or a small rectangle sit on the shelf like an alarm clock. There is Google Nest Clock but it seems you cannot change the face to roman numerals and might be on the pricey side.

We had this clock for quite sometime but we have changed some batteries and it seems to still lose its time rather quickly.
    Maybe these days people are not into wall clocks huh ....

Cheers.

Default Re: Wall clocks - that plugs to the wall instead?

I have one bought it at a garage sale a few years ago, haven't seen a new plugin clock for quite a while though.

No such thing, except bedside clock things but they wouldn't fit easily onto a wall.

Buy another clock? My father used to repair clocks, he said the quartz movements die after a while. Firstly I'd check the battery though, I've had that...and then finally a different battery sorted it. As in type....not rechargeable and use a quality one.

If still a problem the movement can be replaced usually. Or just get another clock. It does take a long long time for them to die, but they do.
    Ex-pctek

We have one on our family room wall that I put up when we moved in here 26 years ago, 12" dial, white face, wood surround, Roman numerals, AA battery once a year. Still keeps accurate time.

Ken

VoidMaster

Here is my clock, my parents got it in 1964 when I was 15 years old, it's been running ever since, uses a 'C' size battery which has to be changed about every 2 or 3 years,
    It is not a quartz movement so needs to be adjusted like all old clocks, it has a jeweled movement, it's German made I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junghans Back.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	11029

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junghans Front.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	11030
    Last edited by zqwerty; 04-08-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

A lot depends on how much trouble and cost you want to go to.

At one end of the scale is a Watchmaker, and at the other end is blow any dust out with compressed air and then put the tiniest drop of WD40 or Kerosene on the shafts that go through to the hands and then wind the time on 24hrs.

The application of the WD40 or Kerosene is often easiest applied from face side.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

That isn't so common now. I haven't seen one in ages.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    No such thing, except bedside clock things but they wouldn't fit easily onto a wall.

Buy another clock? My father used to repair clocks, he said the quartz movements die after a while. Firstly I'd check the battery though, I've had that...and then finally a different battery sorted it. As in type....not rechargeable and use a quality one.

If still a problem the movement can be replaced usually. Or just get another clock. It does take a long long time for them to die, but they do.
    Yep, we have charged up rechargeables, all 4 have gone slow within the same day or by the next day. We also bought a new packet of 4x AA copper top Duracells from Bunnings and it seems like losing time still. Looks like another clock is the way to go.

My wall clock , $20 , keeps good time for several months , running on a single AA bat.
    Change the batt maybee 3 times a year .

Batt power is better than a ugly mains cable hanging down the wall and across the floor

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Anyone know something of this? I have hunted around and there doesn't appear to be any,
    The manufacturers don't like them because they have to make two versions - one for countries with 60Hz mains and one for countries with 50Hz mains.
    The original Panasonic microwave my wife bought had a mains clock display and kept perfect time. Second microwave kept wandering because of the reasons above.

Cheapskate manufacturers.