Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,513

    Default The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    This is worth reading and shows that advice from WHO is likely to be suspect at least some of the time (as if we didn't already know that):

    https://www.wired.com/story/the-teen...ed-covid-kill/

    It's important to understand because it seems that the Delta variant of Covid is much more infectious than the first Alpha version and spreads through aerosols as far as I can gather.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

  2. #2
    Old guy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,959

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    A very interesting story. It also shows very well how "Experts" once they have publicaly taken a position are reluctant to change their mind it shows as well that an expert in one field is not an expert in all related matters.

  3. #3
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    8,208

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    This is worth reading and shows that advice from WHO is likely to be suspect at least some of the time (as if we didn't already know that):

    https://www.wired.com/story/the-teen...ed-covid-kill/

    It's important to understand because it seems that the Delta variant of Covid is much more infectious than the first Alpha version and spreads through aerosols as far as I can gather.
    Interesting read zqwerty.

    It occurred to me half way through that Ultra Violet light was used to kill bugs of this nature years ago. It got a quick mention in passing with respect to Measles in the classroom being controlled by Ultra Violet light but I seem to remember it also being used in Submarines air conditioning and other recirculated air conditioning systems. Legionnaires' disease also comes to mind, but I just cant remember the exact detail.

    Someone jog my memory.

    Wed look bloody silly if we only needed to put Ultra Violet lamps in the likes of Airport Air Conditioners and Shopping Plazas to save a lot of problems we have been experiencing.

    The other thing is Ultra Violet light is effective against a broad spectrum of diseases as I understand it, so that would be a bonus.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

    Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

  4. #4
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,513

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    Here's more info on the Delta Variant:

    Delta variant is one of the most infectious respiratory diseases known, CDC director says -

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/delt...tor-says-.html

    We don't want to be opening our borders anytime soon, possibly the reason why Aussie can't get their latest outbreak under control is because Delta is just at the threshold where lock-down techniques don't have the desired effect anymore.


    More info in the form of a downloadable pdf from CDC about Delta and vaccine breakthrough: the download of the pdf seems safe.

    https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.c...e68462.#page=1

    The pdf comes with this proviso:

    "The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the
    official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."
    Last edited by zqwerty; 01-08-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #5
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    8,208

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    I haven't read your post yet zqwerty because I've only just logged on to post another link HERE

    I can't believe there has been so little testing done with UV despite promising results.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

    Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

  6. #6
    Senior Member paulw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    4,223

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Here's more info on the Delta Variant:

    Delta variant is one of the most infectious respiratory diseases known, CDC director says -

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/delt...tor-says-.html

    We don't want to be opening our borders anytime soon, possibly the reason why Aussie can't get their latest outbreak under control is because Delta is just at the threshold where lock-down techniques don't have the desired effect anymore.


    More info in the form of a downloadable pdf from CDC about Delta and vaccine breakthrough: the download of the pdf seems safe.

    https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.c...e68462.#page=1

    The pdf comes with this proviso:

    "The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the
    official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."
    I treat the statement that it's deadly with a grain of salt. Yes it is way more infectious than the previous ones but in the northern hemisphere people who catch it aren't dying in their droves main because I think that they have been vaccinated something that hasn't happened here. In the UK people going to hospital with this version are only in there for a couple of days. The media in this country is still playing the fear factor game following the government's line of keeping people on their knees with fear.
    Regards,

    Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

  7. #7
    tweakedgeek tweak'e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    winterlessnorth (well almost)
    Posts
    5,050

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    I treat the statement that it's deadly with a grain of salt. Yes it is way more infectious than the previous ones but in the northern hemisphere people who catch it aren't dying in their droves main because I think that they have been vaccinated something that hasn't happened here. In the UK people going to hospital with this version are only in there for a couple of days. The media in this country is still playing the fear factor game following the government's line of keeping people on their knees with fear.
    UK has massive vaccination rates. i checked the other day and they are up to 70% vaccinated.
    it will be interesting to see if UK infection rates fall.

    the problem in aussie is there is simply to many people out and about. they had to call the army in to deal with it.

    the reality is you need vaccination and social distancing to combat this. but many still think that once they are vaccinated they don't have to social distance.
    all vaccination does is makes your body ready to kill it, so its kills it faster. but that still leaves a small window between getting it and killing it when it can spread.
    Tweak it till it breaks

  8. #8
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,513

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    Having read that link BM it's not surprising little work on UV and Covid has been done. it looks far too dangerous to have humans exposed to it for any length of time which is what would be required to have much useful effect on Covid virus particles.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

  9. #9
    tweakedgeek tweak'e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    winterlessnorth (well almost)
    Posts
    5,050

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    afaik banks of UV is used on hospitals etc.
    also certain hotels use (rather dangerously) UV lamps to sterilise hotel rooms.

    in homes its really difficult to do. we use UV to treat water and it works well.
    however air flows at a much higher rate. one UV lamp won't do jack.
    plus the other problem is a lot of UV bulbs also produce ozone, which kills bugs well but also kills human cells to.
    ozone also reacts with other things (its a highly reactive oxidizer) making all sorts of nasties.
    so it can have a lot of side effects if not done correctly.
    Tweak it till it breaks

  10. #10
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,513

    Default Re: The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill

    COVID in Israel: Serious Cases Rise as Third Jab Campaign Gathers Steam:

    https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...eam-1.10065710
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Similar Threads

  1. Oil Reserves - Other Scientific Questions
    By Digby in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-11-2007, 07:45 AM
  2. Linux Screwup
    By merlin-nz in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-12-2002, 12:22 PM
  3. To all who helped
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2002, 07:34 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-01-2002, 06:35 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2001, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •