Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Wanderer

Default Re: How long do your laptops last?

I use a PC now and it's better for photo editing. When I used 2yr old a Pentium 3 600Mhz a Thinkpad X20 a model from 2000 it was used everyday for uni. I think I donated to the Wellington City Council IT electronic dept landfill recycling 2009 or something. The screen went dark but I plugged into a external monitor.

Thinkpad X61T bought in 2010 I think used again, released 2007. It still works. I replaced the hinge thou. Regretted getting a tablet. Had the battery replaced when I bought it used the battery was bad. Now 2021 the battery is bad but the rest of it still works and it's Windows 10. I use it for the Firewire to run my old film scanner.

Thinkpad T420 2011 model. Used. Bought in 2016. Battery still and all still works. I don't use it often thou, just the odd time in the lounge and surf the web etc or showing people some stuff on the LCD TV. 2nd gen i5 chip so yeah ...

These days I would just get a half price deals esp around the tax year period. Thinkpads and HP ProBooks can be had for $900 ie former $1,800.
    Last edited by Nomad; 03-08-2021 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Until they get to the point that they can't be used any longer . Wife's HP laptop is now 6 years old and since putting in a SSD is like a new PC. Mine is only 2 years old. Both say that they can't have win 11 installed.
    They could both run Windows 11. Microsoft just wants you to buy a new computer, and add to the land fill. The trick is to put the data from the W7 iso together with a W10 loader on your USB stick. It then installs in the normal way. You probably couldn't find a more unsuitable laptop than an HP Stream, 32 GB drive & 4 GB RAM, but 11 runs perfectly on it. Not practical because there is not room for storage, but it works.

"Microsoft just wants you to buy a new computer, and add to the land fill "

please, stop with that nonsense.
    Its been explained why MS did this. there is no conspiracy.
    We all complain about Win being an easy target for malware, and then when MS tries to make W11 more secure .............

Those PCs & laptops can still run Windows10 . You dont NEED to install Win11 .

I'm not sure how old my laptop is, but it was bought from Dick Smith well before the disappeared from the High Street.When was that? I recently swapped out the HDD for an SSD, but that's the only hardware change. It is running Win 10 quite happily, if a bit slowly despite the SSD.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    "Microsoft just wants you to buy a new computer, and add to the land fill "

please, stop with that nonsense.
    Its been explained why MS did this. there is no conspiracy.
    We all complain about Win being an easy target for malware, and then when MS tries to make W11 more secure .............

Those PCs & laptops can still run Windows10 . You dont NEED to install Win11 .
    The security benefits are lame duck without a complete chain. People's reaction to this is reasonable, especially considering how crap Microsoft's messaging has been on this. Don't make excuses for a company that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Back on topic, I have so many laptops at the moment I'm running out of space to put them. Enjoy picking up old ones and fixing them up, especially vintage ones running 95/98.

For my daily drivers, I have an XPS 9350 that's running Win 11 just fine (even though it doesn't meet Microsoft's bullshit requirements) that is now 4 years old and a 2013 MacBook Pro 15" that is still nice and fast and works well, though might be due for a battery replacement soon. I expect the XPS will die before the MacBook, and will probably just keep using the MacBook until it dies and then replace it with another M1.

For work I have an Alienware R4 17 as my docked laptop that runs Win 11 and it's about 4 years old, still works perfectly (i7-7920HQ, 32GB, 512GB, 1080 Ti) and a 2020 M1 MacBook for use on the go.

Like to keep work and personal stuff completely seperate, it's nice being able to turn off the work phone and computers at the end of the day and just be in peace. 5-6 years seems to be a pretty good run, though I wouldn't be surprised if they lasted longer. I take mine apart annually, blow out any dust and make sure everything is good inside, reformat, and try to keep them in good shape. I find the macs last a hell of a lot longer than the PCs, though that could just be my own luck. I still have a PowerBook G4 17" in the cupboard that works perfectly fine, besides the lack of software available for it now.

VoidMaster

SPAM reported
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

My HP DV6 I7 running W10 currently still going since 2009....replaced battery twice....only....won't run W11 but....so will end with 10.....

Got several HP's including servers which don't die....

What does the question actually mean? I have just junked my wife's 6-year old Asus F555LA, which was painfully slow, because a suspicious bulge suddenly appeared on the keyboard panel, displacing the touchpad. When I opened the case the bulge was found to be caused by the battery which looked to be pregnant - not good! Yet the laptop was still operating.

So I pulled a 12 year old laptop (also Asus) from the cupboard and configured it for her, mainly email & web browsing, and it is going fine, Windows 10 and all.

My own laptop (another Asus) is 6 years old, but the battery is stuffed and I have to use it plugged in. Otherwise it is also going fine. I haven't had the courage to try to open it up to see if the battery is replaceable.

So the answer seems to be that the computer can have a long life, but the weakest link is the Li-ion battery.

My lappy is 7 years old and still going strong - helps it has 16 GB of RAM and a 17" screen. I did have to replace the SSD several years ago when it took a permanent nap.

I am more likely to replace it so I can use two external monitors than for upgrading Windows.

Last 4 laptops I've had have been 2nd hand thinkpads...
    R50p - purchased 2011, died 2015
    X201 - purchased 2015 in good condition, sold for parts 2017 (random stuff like speakers/ethernet stopped working)
    X230 - purchased in 2017, died 2019
    X230 - purchased 2019 - currently going OK

I thought thinkpads were supposed to be good but I ended up having a 50% failure rate
    Also of note, 50% of the AC adapters died too, I'm currently using a dell adapter with the thinkpad connector soldered on