Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,559

    Default M.2 Installation

    I went all adventurous and bought a Kingston M.2 NVME SSD to put in my rebuilding PC. When I got it home I realized neither the new ASUS mobo or the SSD has the appropriate fixing screws. What a PITA! Does anyone now where I can get these? PB Tech has an out of stock set of a gazillion for $70-odd which is definitely not what I want. I've seen some on Amazon but they don't ship to NZ. It also seems that there are two types - ASUS and the rest. I need ASUS.

    Any suggestions?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  2. #2
    Member bk T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Look for those screws & pieces that came with your Motherboard.

  3. #3
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    Look for those screws & pieces that came with your Motherboard.
    That's the thing - there weren't any. The only thing in the mobo box was the mobo, the insert for all the external connectors, a setup disk and a minimalist user guide.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  4. #4
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,569

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Those are normally only a standard 2.0 x 3mm Screw, Every M.2 NVME I brought always comes with at least 1 screw in the Drive packet. On The odd occasion when I get fumble fingers and drop the damn thing and it bounces god knows where I hunt through old laptop Screws, some of them while slightly longer are the same size.

    Cant remember exactly, but is this your Board-- If so it should have had the Screw:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screw.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	11017
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-07-2021 at 04:26 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Those are normally only a standard 2.0 x 3mm Screw, Every M.2 NVME I brought always comes with at least 1 screw in the Drive packet. On The odd occasion when I get fumble fingers and drop the damn thing and it bounces god knows where I hunt through old laptop Screws, some of them while slightly longer are the same size.

    Cant remember exactly, but is this your Board-- If so it should have had the Screw:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screw.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	11017
    That's weird - your post stops after "should have had the screw". but when I quote the reply it mentions an attachment, shown above. Unless it fell out and disappeared when I was unpacking everything, there is definitely no package of screws, just the i/o shield. I'll have another fossick around to see if I can find it.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  6. #6
    Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney AU
    Posts
    1,721

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Check the M.2 slot, sometimes they afix the screw to the mounting hole for the M.2 so may just need to remove the screw and then install your M.2 using that screw.

    Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

  7. #7
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Nope, no screws. The only packet I found were the ones that came with the power supply (black and much bigger, if you are interested).
    Photo of the mobo attached showing screw locations with no screws.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus mobo.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	11019
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  8. #8
    Computer Technician wainuitech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    28,569

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Nope, no screws. The only packet I found were the ones that came with the power supply (black and much bigger, if you are interested).
    Photo of the mobo attached showing screw locations with no screws.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus mobo.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	11019
    yep, those are the risers for different Drives. The screw normally may be a small packet with a single screw, very easy to miss as long as its not been forgotten or fallen out someplace.

  9. #9
    Senior Moment Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waitakere City
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    yep, those are the risers for different Drives. The screw normally may be a small packet with a single screw, very easy to miss as long as its not been forgotten or fallen out someplace.
    Well, I definitely can't find it. I've emailed Ascent and Asus. Asus replied and after a lot of blather about how they wanted to get everything sorted, said I should talk to Ascent! Haven't heard from Ascent yet. I'm planning t go into my local PC repair joint and see if I can bludge a screw.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    2,071

    Default Re: M.2 Installation

    Seems like you are not the only one

    The 3 screws underneath where your m2 sits can by the look of it can be used like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_My_Vd5cfk

Similar Threads

  1. UFB installation
    By b.... in forum PressF1
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM
  2. New CPU installation Help!!
    By Maqeurious in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-07-2006, 11:56 PM
  3. Installation of CD-Rom
    By Bob Kehely in forum PressF1
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-12-2002, 12:42 PM
  4. IE 6 Installation
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-10-2001, 07:03 PM
  5. Hd installation
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2000, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •