Question Problem with a friend's laptop.

A friend bought an HP Spectre 2 in 1 laptop, which has been a pain in the butt for 4 years.
    At the moment, if it boots it takes at least 5 minutes.
    Can not access F9 or F10 for BIOS or USB boot.
    Screen remains blank until the HP Logo comes on.
    When it does run, it spends most of the time doing updates.
    If it was mine I would bin it, but she paid $3,000 for it. The very least they could have done was to install Windows 10 Pro at that price.
    Is it worth bothering with? I would like to convert it to Linux, but can't boot on USB. What are the chances of the BIOS battery being dead?

Default Re: Problem with a friend's laptop.

HP change their boot settings like the weather.

Try Pressing the esc key while turning on that may bring up the options.

Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkpOSGvGzKo

Forgot to mention -- The BIOS battery -- most of those things these days don't have a separate battery, they run directly from the main battery. Often also, even though you may be tapping the correct key for the BIOS access it wont be active until you get to the boot options as above first. As the Video shows, the guy had to use the on screen keyboard as the keys didn't work.

One reason for it going slow on startup, is people don't let them do updates, or close them off during, seen it countless times. Had one on Monday, took over 6 hours because someone fiddled with the services and stopped certain functions and over a period of time it went slower and slower, after resetting the services to default, fixing the system, changing to a SSD it now starts up in about 15 seconds and is fully up to date and running much better .
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-07-2021 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    but can't boot on USB.
    You'd need to turn off secure boot/UEFI (in the bios) to boot from a non UEFI boot USB .

For the other issues
    go into Win , turn off fast Start in control panel / power . Also turn of hibernation / sleep (that sometimes causes issues)

You could try "pausing" windows updates for 5 days & see if that helps .
    There may a an update that is failing to install on restart, so Win may be having to revert then it might re-download the update & try & agian & fail/revert & keep doing that .
    Have a look in update history & see if there are failing Win updates .

If it doesnt have an SSD , installing SSD's solves so many 'slow' issues

"When it does run, it spends most of the time doing updates."

Do they have Fibre internet.
    Or weak wifi ?
    Some Winupdates are huuuuge & take forever to download on ADSL . So need good internet speed for some of the bigger win updates .

Windows was full of junk, and it had been trying to do auto-updates for years, I decided to reset it, but it couldn't do it. Then I tried to set it back to the previous update, but that was long gone. Went into the repair section, installed Linux Mint v20. The installation was painless, and works perfectly, even the touch screen, no drivers required. It also boots in a reasonable time. Secure boot is disabled.
    There is a problem that it refuses to shut down, just stops with the screen still on, but dead. I can shut it down if I set it for a restart, then hold the power button down just after it starts to boot again. Apparently HP always had this problem in the earlier series, and changed the motherboards. I hope to find a solution as it works really well with Mint.

Working well with Mint 20, boot time is reasonable. Still has the shutdown problem, & the web cam is dead. I made an image of the Linux install, then installed Windows 10. It still had the shutdown problem, and the camera was still dead, despite having 3 drivers. I have come to the conclusion that it is a hardware problem. Apparently the Camera is never used, so that doesn't matter. Replaced the W10 with the Linux using Macrium , 3 minutes. Been trying to find a work around for the shutdown problem, but so far no luck! It will Hibernate, but will not boot unless I hold the power button down to destroy the Hibernation, so back to square one!

Install a SSD that will make it like a new PC.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    Install a SSD that will make it like a new PC.
    It does have a 520 GB SSD, quite fast. The only problem is that it Restarts instead of shut down. When switched off it will sometimes boot automatically if you plug in the charger. Apart from the shut down problem it works fine.