Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Landline phone battery life

How much talk time should I reasonably expect from a cordless landline phone?
    Does that number vary very much between brands?
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Old guy

Default Re: Landline phone battery life

The batteries in the ones I had back in the olden days when I still had a land line used to last for years and never failed when in use even though my wife used to have some very long conversations. In practical terms talk time is not likely to be a problem.

3 hours at least? If talk time degrades, probably needs a new battery.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    The batteries in the ones I had back in the olden days when I still had a land line used to last for years and never failed when in use even though my wife used to have some very long conversations. In practical terms talk time is not likely to be a problem.
    Unlike many people, we do not replace our cordless phone back on the charger between uses and have only run out of battery a few times over the past 2 or 3 years or so. When it does run out an overnight charge is usually sufficient. As Clive says, talk time is not likely to be a problem - not that we use it much these days. Most calls we make these days are by mobile.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I'm not referring to MTBF of the battery, rather the duration before it needs recharging. I'm finding it dies at about 30 mins, which seems a little short to me.

To short Tony. SWMBO regularly talks for an hour or more. Has been known to talk to 90 minutes!

Even though she had been to morning tea with friend the day before! God knows what they talk about? Probably how their husbands are handsome, witty, considerate and loving gentlemen.

I tell you, women get it easy these days. My sister in Tauranga wanted to replace her washing machine and gave it to some young person who had no dough. Then marched off to Noel Lemming, Hardly Normal et al, to buy a new one. Oops, no one has any in stock and there's a waiting list.

She wasn't to impressed with me when I said there was a creek running down the back of their retirement village, so all she needed was a block of soap and 2 rocks. No sense of humour at all!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm not referring to MTBF of the battery, rather the duration before it needs recharging. I'm finding it dies at about 30 mins, which seems a little short to me.
    The Panasonic cordless handset that Vodafone gave me runs on 2 AAA batteries, and will start buzzing, then cut out after about 30 minutes, even when used within a metre of the base unit.

It's a real pain when you've got something important to take care of, and the govt dept (or Vodafone) on the other end wants to keep you on hold for 40 minutes before getting to the issue.

The cordless phone batt size, voltage, type & capacity vary greatly between brands & models .
    So some will have longer talk time than others.

30Mins is too short a time . Either bad design(too small batts) or faulty batt . How old is it , how long do you leave it charging ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    The cordless phone batt size, voltage, type & capacity vary greatly between brands & models .
    So some will have longer talk time than others.

30 Mins is too short a time . Either bad design(too small batts) or faulty batt . How old is it , how long do you leave it charging ?
    Yes, I think 30 mins is too short as well, which is why I posted. The phone is quite old (maybe 10 years), but the handset runs on standard AA rechargeable batteries which according to my tester are in excellent condition. It lives on the base unit, so it is charging all the time. It is a Uniden; don't know what model as the label has worn off. Usually when in use it is either right next to the base station or within 3 metres.
    I have two other cordless phones in the house. Next time I get a call that looks like it will stretch out I'll change handsets and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    duration before it needs recharging. I'm finding it dies at about 30 mins.

It is. It means your battery isn't charging properly anymore, time for a replacement battery.
    Ex-pctek