Default Windows XP install not Windows 10

I have a Toshiba Tecra M10 laptop (2gb, 120gb HD) which I want to use to play music through. I won't connect to the internet or use other than music software. Windows 10 is so slow that I want no more of it.
    I have an installation disc for Windows XP which I want to use.
    What simply do I have to do to install it?
    If I run the disc will it install XP and over write Windows 10 or is there something else to do?

Older by the minute

Default Re: Windows XP install not Windows 10

Be sure that the XP disk has the features you need to install to the Laptop. Then, are you able to backup the Win10 to an external HDD? If so, do that in case everything turns pear shape and then reformat the internal drive. Apply the XP disk to setup XP on the internal HDD. Remember that XP is no longer supported and you may have a problem there. Maybe look at a Linux variety to use if you want the Laptop just for music. You could download say Linux Mint Cinnamon as an ISO, burn it to a DVD and use it to see if you like it. Others will have different ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad View Post
    I have a Toshiba Tecra M10 laptop (2gb, 120gb HD) which I want to use to play music through. I won't connect to the internet or use other than music software. Windows 10 is so slow that I want no more of it.
    I have an installation disc for Windows XP which I want to use.
    What simply do I have to do to install it?
    If I run the disc will it install XP and over write Windows 10 or is there something else to do?
    If its a Standard XP, you'll need to delete the partitions on the drive ( so make sure anything on the drive is backed up that you want to keep)

If you have a Factory Recovery CD then boot from that and it will walk you through the steps.

Probably the quickest way is to boot from some partitioning software - wipe out all partitions.

Then reboot from the XP CD, you'll need your XP Product key so make sure you have that.

BUT You will have problems activating XP as MS's Servers wont accept it any longer. So you'll either have to look up some of the "Alterations" to disable it, other wise it will sooner or later start hitting you with "Windows XP needs to be activated before logging in" and it will go around in circles going nowhere.

You may be better off using a lite version of Linux if Other Windows OS's are not an option.

A Tosh recovery CD MIGHT not need activation

or try this. You will need a genuine XP Install key
    https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windows-XP-Genuine-Forever

or , a linux media player distro. Since you only want to play music
    basically Linux pre-configured just as a media player . Some dont even need installing, they can run off a bootable CD (but that will be slow to load)

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/awesom...-distros-htpc/

Or , ditch the laptop & buy a hardware media player . Or a small portable hifi that can play music on USB sticks
    Plenty of cheap used options on Trademe.

You have to factor in, when is it too much effort for so little return

Is the Toshiba 32 bit, or 64 bit?
    Your best bet is to download a Linux Mint XFCE iso file (32 or 64 bit, as required) & burn it to a USB stick. Boot the Toshiba with it and see how it runs. If Ok you can install it.
    The Ram is a bit low, 4 GB would be much better. You could also replace the hard drive with a SSD which will make it much faster if its a bit slow.

Right click "Internet Access" on Task Bar choose "Troubleshoot problems" this usually works for me.

Sorry for wrong post. I am running Windows 10 32bit O K with this amount of RAM on a lesser spec notebook. You could too.

Thanks for all the help.
    I am working through the suggestions.