Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Server 2019 Trial

Hi team
    I have a music server that runs Server 2012, as an upgrade I wanted to try server 2019 which is meant to have a 180 day trial period. Trouble is once I install this it only shows 10 days trial. Tried a couple of different ISO's but each time I only get the 10 day trial.

Any idea's on what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers Dave

Default Re: Server 2019 Trial

Try rearming it, can extend to 3 years according to the site. https://www.ivobeerens.nl/2019/01/03...2016-and-2019/

Have rearmed software before while testing BUT must be rearmed BEFORE it expires.

Tried re arming, no go still only 10 days....

I have a full license for my server 2012 so might do an upgrade on that one. Any idea on cost to upgrade from 2012? Couldn't figure out the MS page..

Cheers

Depends on what version of Server 2012 you have theres several, (Foundation, Essentials, Standard and Datacenter) all different Pricing. Different versions also have different licensed options. For Example Essentials has 25 user built in where as Standard needs Windows Server CALs for the number of users. Keep in mind - CALs are different to the actual OS license.

Expect at a min to pay a lot more than a Windows 10 for example.

Found these on price spy -- as you can see over $1000 differences in price https://pricespy.co.nz/search?search=Server%202019

Also have a read Theres a link to a PDF on the following page windows-server-2019-upgrade-from-2012-r2.html

Did you get your ISO from Microsoft ???

I downloaded Server 2019 VHD ( to have look see) as well as the ISO and both gave 180 Days trial. What many techs who test do as the other page suggested is install the ISO and simply rearm, then reinstall when the trials run out.

My Server -- They can all stay on 2012R2 thankyou - no need to upgrade them, not at the prices they want
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-07-2021 at 05:53 PM.

They say server 2019 sounds better for hi quality audio and from my initial trials I'd agree.

I'm obviously doing something wrong.... You got 180 days and another dude who's helping me had no issues either with the install and trial period.

Just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

So this is what I've done.
    Used Rufus to make a bootable USB with the server iso.
    Booted from the USB, selected the second option which I think is GUI evaluation edition. The next option was custom install not upgrade.

That's about it, I can't see too many other steps I could have got wrong .

I must be doing something wrong.

Dunno ?? I downloaded the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/eval...ws-server-2019

In both Cases installed directly from the ISO, But Will try using Rufus and do a Clean install on a Spare PC. ( Wont be till tomorrow though) Monday. I'll pop back and advised what happened.
    This is from the VHD on MS's site. Instead of the ISO
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Server 2019.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	11012
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-07-2021 at 07:42 PM.

Ok, thanks. Appreciate your help as always.
    So how do I install directly from the iso? Do I store this on the system ssd or the separate HDD that stores my music? I don't have a CD or DVD drive on this machine

Quote Originally Posted by 4Lowie View Post
    Tried re arming, no go still only 10 days....

I have a full license for my server 2012 so might do an upgrade on that one. Any idea on cost to upgrade from 2012? Couldn't figure out the MS page..

Cheers
    I'd stick with 2012R2 or go to Linux if I were you- from Server 2016 it is now charged by how many Cores you're using, with a minimum buy in of 16 cores. PB Tech lists Server 2019 Standard 16 Core license for $1253.50. On top of that, you need CALs (Client Access License) for each user that accesses the server. They are charged at $83.00 each at PB Tech. You might say that Microsoft will never check if you've bought CALs or not and it's true, but at that point you're outside of the license agreement anyway and might as well just install the MSDN version and run it unactivated (all that happens is the Activate Windows watermark; Microsoft learned from 2008R2 and 2012R2 where they would shut down accidentally unactivated servers or servers that couldn't contact their local KMS for whatever reason and all hell would break loose).

Unless you're running a custom or Windows only app for your music, a basic Linux server could serve you very well. Another path is just to use Windows 10- it shares the same code base as Server 2019 and is just as reliable, albeit with the consumer features on top. There are scripts available to remove all the crap and make it nice and clean.

Another option is to use Server 2019 essentials- it's priced at $578.99, includes 25 User CALs for use on up to 50 devices, but lacks some of the more advanced features of Server 2019 Standard.

How do you access your music? It seems strange that there would be a difference in quality, the only thing that really seems to change between them is if you're using RDP.

The system uses an SSD for the OS and an HDD which stores the music files. Yes there is a difference in music quality between the two OS's. Don't ask me why..... I also use a program called Audio Optimiser which shuts down a lot of the unwanted / unused features of the OS.

Just came across this which might be my issue:

Installation guidelines
    After installation, install the latest servicing package.
    Go to: Microsoft update catalog and search for "Windows Server 2019”.
    Evaluation versions of Windows Server must activate over the internet in the first 10 days to avoid automatic shutdown.

As my machine isn't connect to the internet it hasn't been able to do the initial activation. Might have to try a wifi dongle to connect to my wifi so i can activate it.

Does that sound right?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 4Lowie View Post
    The system uses an SSD for the OS and an HDD which stores the music files. Yes there is a difference in music quality between the two OS's. Don't ask me why..... I also use a program called Audio Optimiser which shuts down a lot of the unwanted / unused features of the OS.

Just came across this which might be my issue:

Installation guidelines
    After installation, install the latest servicing package.
    Go to: Microsoft update catalog and search for "Windows Server 2019”.
    Evaluation versions of Windows Server must activate over the internet in the first 10 days to avoid automatic shutdown.

As my machine isn't connect to the internet it hasn't been able to do the initial activation. Might have to try a wifi dongle to connect to my wifi so i can activate it.

Does that sound right?

Cheers
    Yeah evaluation versions need to be online to be activated. If you need to run Windows then Server Essentials 2019 will most likely be your best bet considering the cost, though there is no in place upgrade path from 2012R2 standard. Would have to install over top and reinstall your apps.