Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile I tried out Windows 11

I tried out Windows 11, and found that most of the exaggerated hardware requirements are not true, and that it is no different to Windows 10.
    The only obvious difference is cosmetic. The Start menu is similar to some Linux distros, and is a great improvement on the W10 menu. The colours are softer, and cheerful, I like them.

I installed W11 in Lidvirt/Qemu, hosted by Linux Mint 19.3. I gave it 4 GB Ram, 2 x1.6 GHZ CPU, and 30 GB virtual drive. It performed perfectly. I installed a variety of software, only had issues with one app. Sound was excellent.

I also tried to install it on a HP Stream with 32 GB drive. It would not install, and needed at least 51 GB. Presumably it wanted to include a recovery partition. The Stream was on W10 Home originally before being changed to Linux MX.

I think W11 is a challenge to Linux, and if they get a decent file manager they may succeed

Default Re: I tried out Windows 11

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I tried out Windows 11, and found that most of the exaggerated hardware requirements are not true, and that it is no different to Windows 10.
    The only obvious difference is cosmetic. The Start menu is similar to some Linux distros, and is a great improvement on the W10 menu. The colours are softer, and cheerful, I like them.

I installed W11 in Lidvirt/Qemu, hosted by Linux Mint 19.3. I gave it 4 GB Ram, 2 x1.6 GHZ CPU, and 30 GB virtual drive. It performed perfectly. I installed a variety of software, only had issues with one app. Sound was excellent.

I also tried to install it on a HP Stream with 32 GB drive. It would not install, and needed at least 51 GB. Presumably it wanted to include a recovery partition. The Stream was on W10 Home originally before being changed to Linux MX.

I think W11 is a challenge to Linux, and if they get a decent file manager they may succeed
    Dont tell BM that Windows is has been working on running Linux Apps directly in windows, without the need for a program like WINE.

Great for developers who write programs for both OS's
    So basically you would download a Linux App, and install as you would on a Linux OS. (Its actually partly available right now in W10) to be more precise its been there since 2016 its called Windows Subsystem for Linux but has mainly been text based output.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Dont tell BM that Windows is has been working on running Linux Apps directly in windows, without the need for a program like WINE.
    Umm... It is the other way around. WINE allows Linux users to run Windows software, actually.
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by KarameaDave View Post
    Umm... It is the other way around. WINE allows Linux users to run Windows software, actually.
    Yep know that, thats why I said "something like" wine. You dont need anything, W11 will simply run the Linux apps. (have'nt tried it yet but may give it a go tomorrow) -- now what to try - thats the question Might even look how to do it

Linux wont run windows apps without some sort of help/go between.

Each to their own, use what ever a person likes.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 14-07-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Yep know that, thats why I said "something like" wine. You dont need anything, W11 will simply run the Linux apps. (have'nt tried it yet but may give it a go tomorrow) -- now what to try - thats the question Might even look how to do it

Linux wont run windows apps without some sort of help/go between.

Each to their own, use what ever a person likes.
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying, actually I don't use Linux much any more, must have got lazy
    FTW

I use Linux apps on Windows daily, thanks WSL
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

I tried out Windows 11, and found that it is no different to Windows 10.
    The only obvious difference is cosmetic.

I think W11 is a challenge to Linux
    If it's no different to Win10, I sure want nothing to do with it then.

What I like about Linux:
    Free everything
    Ease of use...easier than Windows, especially when installing new programs
    Separating the system and the profile
    Small
    Simple backups
    No need for AV
    No enforced updates or dictating sw preferences
    Ex-pctek

nope
    The requirements are not exaggerated, they are even on MS's own website .
    The requirements are for the Retail version, not yet available
    pre-release / insider versions may have relaxed requirements .

You tried a pre-release/insider version . Not the same as what the final retail version will be. Its a test version .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post

You tried a pre-release/insider version . Not the same as what the final retail version will be. Its a test version .
    What we may find is Microsoft lessen the current requirements, the same way they changed various things in W10 due to public outcry.

Telling millions of people over the world they need to buy new computers to Run W11 -- Think we all know the response to that.

Mind you gonna be a busy time installing the "hacks/ Fixes" that will be developed to bypass the restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    nope
    The requirements are not exaggerated, they are even on MS's own website .
    The requirements are for the Retail version, not yet available
    pre-release / insider versions may have relaxed requirements .

This has got to be the weirdest sales pitch ever!! What Microsoft are doing is designing an OS which will not run on your average domestic PC, in the hopes that you will dump your perfectly usable PC and buy a new one, all for the dubious privilege of using Windows. Why would you when you can run Linux on just about any old, or new computer. I agree with Piroska, Linux is much easier to work with.