Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Terminology question

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm proceeding on the basis that if I'm building a new machine, it might as well be specified to use the latest technology.
    Its not so much the Motherboard as cost wise its the CPU, they are the more expensive item ( if you can get them) there's a world wide shortage. Build two at the moment - went to order the CPU's The eta was 28th June - 30 had been ordered of the ones I wanted - with 27 already back ordered - so got in quick.

Now got an order for 3 identical gaming machines - Same thing no damn CPU's and Graphic cards are similar

Was reading the other day that Microsoft insisted that the Manufactures enable the Security on the boards by default for any board designed for W10.

A LOT of boards dont have TPM options some have other settings while some require a module to be attached ( brought separately).

BUT with the new specs coming out I guess the manufactures will start making boards with these features already installed.

Any NEW Ryzen or i3,i5 etc CPU should be compatible
    Just dont buy old stock of old generation CPUs
    Software TPM should work .
    Get the latest gen motherboard as well . TPM header (socket) would be worthwhile .

No one knows what the final requirements for Win11 will actually be. Requirements may change . Its not due till Nov (?)
    And you cant go buy what works with Insider pre-release builds.

No point in buying new hardware if its not going to be compatible with Win11 . Compatible as of what we now know .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Any NEW Ryzen or i3,i5 etc CPU should be compatible
    Just dont buy old stock of old generation CPUs
    Software TPM should work .
    Get the latest gen motherboard as well . TPM header (socket) would be worthwhile .

No one knows what the final requirements for Win11 will actually be. Requirements may change . Its not due till Nov (?)
    And you cant go buy what works with Insider pre-release builds.

No point in buying new hardware if its not going to be compatible with Win11 . Compatible as of what we now know .
    You are absolutely right. Within a sensible budget, I'll be buying the latest and greatest. I'm certainly not going to get something that is only a marginal fit. If it wasn't for the fact that the old PC died a smokey death, I wouldn't be bothering at all, but seeing as it is now a largely melted ruin, I might as well future-proof myself at least a bit.
    Last edited by Tony; 07-07-2021 at 01:21 PM.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

You are absolutely right. Within a sensible budget, I'll be buying the latest and greatest. I'm certainly not going to get something that is only a marginal fit. If it wasn't for the fact that the old PC died a smokey death, I wouldn't be bothering at all, but seeing as it is now a largely melted ruin, I might as well future-proof myself at least a bit.
    The Ryzen 5 5600x is probably the best value CPU bang for buck out there at the moment.

Best of luck with your building and Windows 11 testing

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    The Ryzen 5 5600x is probably the best value CPU bang for buck out there at the moment.

Best of luck with your building and Windows 11 testing
    Ascent has the AMD 3600X at $190 less than the 5600X, and on the face of it, a better spec, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

Ascent has the AMD 3600X at $190 less than the 5600X, and on the face of it, a better spec, unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.
    3600x isnt a better spec. Its the older Zen2
    3600x may just be old unsold stock .

5600x is 25-20% faster . Depending on how its speed its tested

5600x : Zen3
    "AMD’s new Zen 3 architecture has vastly improved single-core performance and lower memory latency, which leads to a significant effective speed advantage over its predecessor, the 3600X"

Unless gaming or doing video processing or CAD , you may not notice any real word difference between the 2 .
    The $190 price difference may be better spent on faster RAM or better vid card .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    3600x isnt a better spec. Its the older Zen2
    3600x may just be old unsold stock .

5600x is 25-20% faster . Depending on how its speed its tested

5600x : Zen3
    "AMD’s new Zen 3 architecture has vastly improved single-core performance and lower memory latency, which leads to a significant effective speed advantage over its predecessor, the 3600X"

Unless gaming or doing video processing or CAD , you may not notice any real word difference between the 2 .
    The $190 price difference may be better spent on faster RAM or better vid card .
    I'm certainly not going to be anything intensive, so the lower and cheaper spec should do me fine.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

If multi core performance is important then the 3600x is a "good choice" if you're strapped for $$$.

Personally I recommend going for the 5600x, it has vastly improved IPC as well as superior power/thermal efficiency.

I have just moved from my beloved 8700K on Z370 to a 5600x on x570 and the performance difference is quite astounding...

I have seen an increase of about 15-20% in FPS for gaming and my video encoding time has been shaved down to about 75% of the time the 8700K took.

All in all it is worth the extra $$$ and as previously suggested, if you're going down the Ryzen route (particularly Zen3) then make sure you get at least 3200Mhz speed memory @ CAS 16 or lower.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3070 Ti Master
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Actually the current best bang for buck is mostly considered intel again with the i5 11400F - about $250-$300 and very close to the 5600X in performance. Can also use a cheap motherboard and stick with the stock cooler.

Personally I would get a 5600X, but the 11400F is a very competitve option and worth comparing. If a few % of performance in some cases matters less to you than budget I think intel wins at this price point.

edit: forgot to mention - both are 6 core / 12 thread
    edit 2: here's some gaming comparisons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAJVM01D2hw
    Last edited by dugimodo; 08-07-2021 at 05:33 PM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I've actually ordered from Ascent:
    https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspec...?itemID=450427
    https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspec...?itemID=586068
    https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspec...?itemID=551689
    Interesting that they have confirmed shipping for the mobo and the memory, but not the CPU.