Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VoidMaster

Default Re: Buzz Words of yesterytear

Yeah, wrong use of the phrase which is usually used in America to imply something wrong or off.

Like the use of wrapped when rapt was meant.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

"He always was the fly in the ointment."

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Yeah, wrong use of the phrase which is usually used in America to imply something wrong or off.

Like the use of wrapped when rapt was meant.
    Iíll correct him on that. (By leaving a note in his letterbox.)

Iíll suggest a "Needle in a Haystack" is more appropriate. (Again by a note in his letterbox.)
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Got this in a e-mail today.

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! She knew she was old ... But not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, Carbon copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot ofmoxie. We'd put on our best bib and tucker,to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy!

Holy Moley!

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell,but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or "This is a fine kettle of fish!" We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone. Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: The milkman did it.

Don't forget to pull the chain.

Knee high to a grasshopper.

Well, Fiddlesticks!

I'll see you in the funny papers.

Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator Okidoki.

You'll notice they left out "Monkey Business"!

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 50'S ... NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN .. WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS: LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Good gracious, B.M. Now you have me sobbing in my nostalgic pretzels.

Did you ever take a walk up the wooden hill to blanket bay?

Or wonder how a jalopy could also be a bomb?

I have a 1947 half-crown on my keyring. Most people these days have no idea what it is but I sure did when one was pressed into my grasping little hand!

Blue Druid your mention of a half -crown reminded me.
    When i was about 7 or 8 a friend's mum gave me a half-crown and asked me to go o the dairy to buy a Pound of butter. The whole time walking there i was worried "I don't have enough money"

Lost Words From Our Childhood

Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said, "What’s a Jalopy?" He had never heard of the word jalopy! We went for a ride in the old bomb! You could take the old side banger for a spin around the block! She knew she was old ... but not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, carbon copy, you sound like a broken record, and hung out to dry. Took off like a blue arsed fly!

Back in the olden days we put on our best bib and tuck or your best bag of fruit. Crikey Dick!

Heavens to Betsy! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy Moley! Fair suck of the sauce bottle! Fair crack of the whip! Put a sock in it!

We were in like Flynn, out like Grout and living the life of Riley; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop, a dill or a pill. Not for all the tea in China! Well strike me roan!

Bloody oath; bludger

However, you could be accused of being a couple of shingles short in the roof; not the sharpest knife in the draw; a couple of stubbies short of a six pack; a few sheep short in the top paddock; about as bright as a blown light bulb; a sandwich short of a picnic, a stubbie short of a six pack, what’s the John Dory? Have a Captain Cook ...

We wake up from a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!" "

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. Where have all those great phrases gone? They were being used until political correctness was invented. So how smart were they??

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! I'll see you in the funny farm. Wake up and smell the roses. Struth! Blimey!

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator! See you later chip potata! See you in the dunny, honey! See you on the moon, baboon! just to mention a few.

Oki doki.

You'll notice they left out "Monkey Business"!!!

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 40’s and 50'S ... NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN ... WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS - LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

No worries mate … Give’m a fair go and Hoo Roo for now

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Heavens to Mergatroyd!
    oh no. thats an American term.
    Americanisms dont go down to well around here (just kidding)

He's got a face like a run-over jam tin.

She looks like a cross between a bull ***** and a window shutter.

Me? I'm just a scallywag. But I was once a tiddler, knee-high to a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Hung out to dry.
    How is that one old? People still dry clothes on the line.
    Ex-pctek