Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Buzz Words of yesterytear

While not exactly buzz words in the past, girls "panties" and boys "underpants" have become these days buzz word, "knickers" and has also become a mild swear word for those people who want to swear without swearing.

And if you went to school in the 50s you may remember the girls doing handstands up against a wall. It was the girl's craze. But when they did their handstands, their dresses would fall down toward their heads exposing their panties. So that did not happen, they tucked their dresses into the legs of their panties. Us boys used to watch with interest, looking to see a glimpse of what we were not supposed to see.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Us boys used to watch with interest, looking to see a glimpse of what we were not supposed to see.
    Look out. There will be a historical complaint coming soon .

Roscoe, bloomers back then and didn't us boys perve. Mind you most boys didn't wear jockeys either and it cut both ways.

lurking.

I wonder how many lassies of a certain age remember being required to wear 'rompers' for PE. Ah, legs to heaven but terminating in the most unsexy garment imaginable. Poor girls. And oh my aching eyeballs!

Nope, not the most unsexy, witches britches were. You thought you were making progress only to be greeted by the most unsexy garment ever. Result? Instant lack of progress and probably desire too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Roscoe, bloomers back then and didn't us boys perve. Mind you most boys didn't wear jockeys either and it cut both ways.

lurking.
    The girls definitely wore panties in the 50s - they were briefs (called "panties") not bloomers. Bloomers had long legs half way to their knees - the girls at that time did not wear bloomers - they wore "panties." The boys, as you say, did not wear Jockeys, but they were definitely called "underpants." (I was 11 in the mid fifties so I definitely took notice of the girls.)

And, yes, us boys certainly did perve - is that a word still used today?

Great comments , evereyone -thanks. Today a younger (than me) chap told me he had just returned from the Murder House (dentist)( -I had not heard that one for a long time. I have used the term Molar Bowler for the Dentist -still do occasionally but get puzzled looks.

I also have had to discontinue (except with older folk) some of my old jokes because such roles or equipment is no longer in use.
    e.g. "Hettie on her first day at work turned up with togs and a towel. When asked why she replied because I'm joining the tying pool"

Quote Originally Posted by Neil F View Post
    Great comments , evereyone -thanks. Today a younger (than me) chap told me he had just returned from the Murder House (dentist)( -I had not heard that one for a long time.
    My brothers and I used to go to the Murder House in upper Willis St in Wellington in the 50s. It was a multi story building with a long floor of about 20(?) or so dentist chairs. They did not have electric drills but treadle operated drills which ground away slowly. All the dental nurses were young women.

I was blessed with half a ton of mercury amalgam fillings at the school dental clinic (murder House.) The dental nurse was a graduate of the dental nurse school where Roscoe went and had well-developed calf muscles from using the treadle drill.

I have just had the remains of my adult teeth removed by a hospital dentist – the result of radiation treatment. I variously describe the hospital dentist as the "fang farrier" or if I'm feeling benign, the "chopper doctor". However, I don't think either of these terms are of sufficiently ancient currency to qualify as "buzz words of yesteryear."

Heard one just the other day when an old mate, who is as hard as nails, came out with “Finding anything around here is like looking for a Nigger in a Woodpile”.

I told him he couldn’t say that or he’d have 100 Woke’s on his doorstep.

His reply was: “What the F’n hell’s a Woke?”

I told him he’d find out when they turned up.

And his response was “Let’m Come”.

I look forward to the Press Report if they do.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.