Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saturday fun: Restoring an old Toshiba laptop

Picked this baby up at Cash Converters online shop for $30.

Toshiba Satellite A10, Celeron 2.4GHz, 256MB of RAM, 40GB HDD, ATI Mobility GPU, XP RTM Pro. It's in pristine condition, is going to make for a great old gaming machine. I love playing a bunch of 98/95/3.11 classics.

Unfortunately everywhere here is out of stock of Blank CD's and DVD's. So I can't burn 98 SE and install it. Also doesn't support booting from USB lol.

Trying a wild workaround where you install XP, make a partition that has the 98 install floppy boot files and CD Setup files, and then reboot and run the install from there. Hope it works.

HDD is so loud coz it's so old, all going well in 98 I'll probably get a 128GB SSD for it too since they're so cheap.

I can't believe what a steal this was, even the battery is in good condition and holds a charge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1638222.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	10959

Default Re: Saturday fun: Restoring an old Toshiba laptop

So the original work around failed; but found this fantastic tool called Easy2Boot.

It lets you put ISOs on a USB and allows you to choose which one to boot. It also has built in support for 9X and ME ISOs, as long as they're under 200MB.

So after installing XP, using that to get the PLoP bootloader installed so this relic can boot a USB drive, trimming the 98 SE ISO of all the other folders, it's now installing a 25 year old OS from the USB drive.

Stuff like this still amazes me after all these years.

Bit of a Fun project Have you tried places like Noel Leeming or Harvey Norman for CD's ?

A 128 or 256 GB SSD in that with XP will hum along quite well, just leave all the updates out ( if you have them) . Unless that's a default factory install in the picture you will have fun trying to activate it - the XP servers are dead long ago , where as a factory image/install will be pre activated.

Does look to be in good condition going by the picture -- Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Bit of a Fun project Have you tried places like Noel Leeming or Harvey Norman for CD's ?

A 128 or 256 GB SSD in that with XP will hum along quite well, just leave all the updates out ( if you have them) . Unless that's a default factory install in the picture you will have fun trying to activate it - the XP servers are dead long ago , where as a factory image/install will be pre activated.

Does look to be in good condition going by the picture -- Have fun
    Just saw that warehouse stationery has them- on my way!!!

VoidMaster

I think you can turn off the swap file on a working Win98SE install; then copy and paste the HDD onto any other HDD and then put it into another computer and away it goes.

Senior tech told me this haven't done it myself.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Picked this baby up at Cash Converters online shop for $30.
    , is going to make for a great old gaming machine. I love playing a bunch of 98/95/3.11 classics.

Er, no it won't.
    If you mean really old games, whack Linux on it and use Wine. The old stuff works on Wine.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Er, no it won't.
    If you mean really old games, whack Linux on it and use Wine. The old stuff works on Wine.
    Er, yes it does.

Everything except the Wi-Fi card has 9x drivers and so far everything I've loaded on to it runs flawlessly.

PBtech still sell blank discs, online anyway, I haven't checked my local store. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVB...47GB-16x-in-Je
    I honestly still have left over blanks from years ago when I stopped burning disks myself.

I still have a cracked copy of 98se on CD-R, kinda curious if it still works now Just chucked in in the drive and it seems to read. I Also still have 95 and millenium burnt disks with handwritten keys on them, couldn't tell you where they came from now.
    I'm less nostalgic about windows PC gaming though, for me it's my old commodore 64 and atari ST gaming days I'd love to revisit but you can't get the kind of controllers I used to play with any more and modern ones just aren't the same.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    PBtech still sell blank discs, online anyway, I haven't checked my local store. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVB...47GB-16x-in-Je
    I honestly still have left over blanks from years ago when I stopped burning disks myself.

I still have a cracked copy of 98se on CD-R, kinda curious if it still works now Just chucked in in the drive and it seems to read. I Also still have 95 and millenium burnt disks with handwritten keys on them, couldn't tell you where they came from now.
    I'm less nostalgic about windows PC gaming though, for me it's my old commodore 64 and atari ST gaming days I'd love to revisit but you can't get the kind of controllers I used to play with any more and modern ones just aren't the same.
    That's exactly where I ended up ordering from, they had 50pk spindles of CD's and DVD's still. Bought one of each, along with a USB DVD Writer, that should last me the rest of my life

Oh there are so many great PC Classics, from jazz jackrabbit, monkey island, wasteland, UFO, one of my personal favourites is Castle of the Winds, the best RPG that looks like it was made in MS Paint ever

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Er, yes it does.

Everything except the Wi-Fi card has 9x drivers and so far everything I've loaded on to it runs flawlessly.
    I meant it's not a gaming machine as such. Depends what you want to play. Old stuff , well...even depends how high end the old stuff is.
    Ex-pctek