Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: SNOW, TRAFFIC JAMS AND ELECTRIC CARS:

Lets be realistic here, I like a great many people in NZ live rural its my choice.

There is currently no EV available in NZ that can carry a ton of tools, drive on rough gravel roads, drive on very muddy farms or building sites, cross rivers, tow decent work trailers (boats are not work for most), carry weight on the roof. All things I need to do every month. Also there is no public transport here of any form, so if I want to go alternative to diesel I need to get a horse and cart which for the green vegan brigade is just as bad as burning diesel.

I would love to drive something which I don't need petrol or diesel for but it ain't happening anytime soon.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    I do not know you either but you just sound like you're a misery guts who is stuck in the past and have a chip on your shoulder. I don't need the arrogant lecture on how life works, do you think I assume that vegetables just fly on to store shelves?
    No need to get your knickers in a knot old chap. I said at the start that you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to have mine. I accept that my view of the matter is pessimistic compared to yours and, believe it or not, I would prefer that it all works out that you are more correct than I am. I very much suspect not. If we are both still around in another 10 or 20 years we will know how it all worked out in the mean time we are both just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I need to get a horse and cart which for the green vegan brigade is just as bad as burning diesel.

It is? I'd have thought they like horses, or is that the Greenies?
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    No need to get your knickers in a knot old chap. I said at the start that you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to have mine. I accept that my view of the matter is pessimistic compared to yours and, believe it or not, I would prefer that it all works out that you are more correct than I am. I very much suspect not. If we are both still around in another 10 or 20 years we will know how it all worked out in the mean time we are both just guessing.
    Hey I give as good as I get. What I said was based on research, and if you're going to play the whole you're high and mighty bullshit with me then you're going to get a snap back.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Lets be realistic here, I like a great many people in NZ live rural its my choice.

There is currently no EV available in NZ that can carry a ton of tools, drive on rough gravel roads, drive on very muddy farms or building sites, cross rivers, tow decent work trailers (boats are not work for most), carry weight on the roof. All things I need to do every month. Also there is no public transport here of any form, so if I want to go alternative to diesel I need to get a horse and cart which for the green vegan brigade is just as bad as burning diesel.

I would love to drive something which I don't need petrol or diesel for but it ain't happening anytime soon.
    I don't think they're as far off as you might think. If 2035 is the aim then we're getting close.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    It is? I'd have thought they like horses, or is that the Greenies?
    Of course not like cows they fart methane

Tesla Model S P90D

Both seem to have very large onboard screens, will these be a bigger distraction than cellphones, I wonder!.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    Tesla Model S P90D

Both seem to have very large onboard screens, will these be a bigger distraction than cellphones, I wonder!.

lurking.
    The Tesla at least isn't too bad. When I first got it, it was a bit distracting and had to learn to navigate the car UI. But after a while you sort of get used to it. The auto night mode shift that it has helps a lot, and the dark UI is nice and easy on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    As I understand it, the intention is to have all Internal Combustion Engine Vehicles off the roads by 2035.
    which is a laughable goal when there is no tech out there that can do it.
    cars running one person to work and back is one thing.
    hauling supplies in a truck is another.
    electric vehicles simply cannot handle any decent load. the few electric trucks out there are short range and a lot of its cargo capacity is taken up by battery weight.

then you also have to factor in road tax. ev's can't be road tax free for ever. they will have to pay road tax once numbers get up.
    add to that they may end up paying more than an equivalent ice car due to the extra weight of ev's.
    suddenly the price advantages start to disappear.
    Tweak it till it breaks

If the car had never been invented the world might have been totally knee deep in horse shite?

Ken