Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default SNOW, TRAFFIC JAMS AND ELECTRIC CARS:

Has anyone thought or even talked about this potential problem?

If all cars were electric and were caught up in a three hour traffic jam... dead batteries! Then what?

Not to mention, that there is virtually no heating in an electric vehicle.

And if you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no windscreen wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drain the battery) !!!

You can try calling 111 to bring women and children to safety!

But they cannot come to help you since all roads are blocked, and the green weenies will probably require all police cars to be electric also (if we still have police departments then) !!

And when the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their batteries are dead and they cannot move.

How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam? (That is a promising business I think I’d like to look into.)

Same problem during summer holiday departures with miles of traffic jams.

There is virtually NO air conditioning in an electric vehicle. It would drain your battery quickly.

This will make cars run out of "fuel" and create never ending traffic jams, not to mention high tempers.

No PC reporter talks about that of course!

You can’t even call in horses to rescue you.

The Animal Rights Lobby are against using horses and cows. Besides they defecate and produce methane!

I thought, then, that I will stay with a petrol car - but the only problem with that is that all around me there are electric cars with dead batteries so it seems that I am not going anywhere!
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: SNOW, TRAFFIC JAMS AND ELECTRIC CARS:

The reality is quite the opposite of what you've pictured.

My 'experience' comes from absorbing everything Tesla related (I don't yet have one), so might not be true for all EVs.

Teslas can run the air conditioning at any time. They don't have to be in motion. There is a 'camp mode' and a 'dog mode' that can keep the cabin temps comfortable with or without occupants in the car. A night in camp mode may use maybe 5-10% of the battery.

This is quite superior to a combustion vehicle which requires the engine to be running, and dumping waste energy the whole time.

True, cold conditions will lower the battery capacity readings, and the corresponding range, but you could bury the car in a snowbank and still potentially stay warm inside with the heatpump running (assuming the exterior radiator doesn't freeze up entirely, altho tesla does monitor and defrost it as needed).
    Compare that with dying from carbon monoxide trying to stay warm in a carbon breathing vehicle.

Some EV's use heat generated from the motors or the inverters to heat the cabin, and these are inefficient.
    Teslas use a multi purpose heatpump which, via the Octo-Valve can be used to heat and/or cool multiple areas... cabin, motors, inverters, battery, radiator.
    Remember, heatpumps are very efficient. Just because the air con compressor in a combustion vehicle robs a fair bit of power from the vehicle doesn't necessarily translate to the same being true in an EV.

Well put Roscoe.

Many years back China enforced a one child family policy. We know that there a great number of aborted female fetuses', as males carried on the family name, can't put my finger on that source of info.

Now China moved to two children per couple and recently upping to 3 per couple.

If NZ wants to reduce cow numbers, then they could easily reduce the number of off-spring per family as well.

Anyone would think humans don't defecate all over the place and the good Chinese of old used to use this excrement in their gardening.

lurking.

Note what I said only applies to an EV with a serious range (300+km).

The stupid toy EVs with a 50km range are exactly the problem you described - no spare capacity for a change of circumstances, and the need to do a turtle paced recharge every 50km - hopeless for inter-city travel or peak time (public holiday) travel.

When it comes to EV's, if you want to do serious travel, it's go big battery, or just stay home.

There is a whole heap of problems.

Cost of cars.
    Cost of batteries.

Generating enough electricity.
    Distance they can travel.

Lithum....a whole set of issues right there.

The fact it won't stop climate change either.

It's just another Seen To Be Doing Something.

Humans are not good at sorting the real issues, they fiddle with the symptoms, and usually only when either forced or see a way to make money from it.
    Ex-pctek

Drove a Tesla Model S P90D in the US. Took it up to Toronto in the winter with absolutely no problems besides maybe a drop in range (averaged about 200 miles instead of the normal 250).

I wouldn't jump to conclusions like this until you've had actual experience in the car or at least understand the technology behind it. It's just fearmongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    Note what I said only applies to an EV with a serious range (300+km).

The stupid toy EVs with a 50km range are exactly the problem you described - no spare capacity for a change of circumstances, and the need to do a turtle paced recharge every 50km - hopeless for inter-city travel or peak time (public holiday) travel.

When it comes to EV's, if you want to do serious travel, it's go big battery, or just stay home.
    i think most are well more than 50km of travel. however i doubt many people would ever use an EV with such limitations.
    you always want more range than you ever actually use.
    ev's are fairly good for short regular commuter trips. ie going to work thats not to far away. go down to local shops etc.
    i think most people will simply have a 2nd vehicle for long trips, towing the boat etc.

thats not bad really. reduce a lot of city pollution.

but this idea that everything will be EV is simply unrealistic.

the other issue is fast chargers. there has been word of some streets with power issues due to the amount of EV's the owners have.
    also rumor of a lines company limiting the amount of fast chargers in the street.
    a lot of people will be stuck with slow chargers which will limit the range of the vehicles.
    Tweak it till it breaks

I can see the outpouring of grief, when a EV School Bus gets T-Boned, explodes, and the kids get fried.

These EV vehicles put a whole new meaning on “Just Driving a Bomb”.
    Global Warming is Mann made.

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Biggest problem is our lack of generating capacity if we all go electric and the fact that you can only charge one at a time on a domestic supply. Also in the last California wildfires the first thing that happened was the power co's turned the local grid off.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Biggest problem is our lack of generating capacity if we all go electric and the fact that you can only charge one at a time on a domestic supply. Also in the last California wildfires the first thing that happened was the power co's turned the local grid off.
    its unlikely we will ever go fully electric.
    you can charge multiple cars on domestic supply, it just means they take longer. only a big problem for long distance drivers.
    they turned the local grid off in California because of the winds where causing trees to be blown into power lines and starting the fires.
    Tweak it till it breaks