Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default My close to state of the art desktop system Intel, 8 core, reboots frequently

............. with no blue screen. Simply restarts - seemingly after about 15/20 mins of inactivity. Tested so far are the power pack and the cooling system, without any result.

Also just had the additional problem that the File Manager refuses to open. Ideas?

Setup is Intel Core i7 9700K@3.60 GHz - Coffee Lake 14 nm Technology
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 °C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Re: My close to state of the art desktop system Intel, 8 core, reboots frequently

What are the rest of your specs Misty?

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Default Re: My close to state of the art desktop system Intel, 8 core, reboots frequently

Could be many reasons.

You have to work through one at a time to eliminate a problem.

Doubt its cooling -- If a PC over heats and shuts down it wont restart again until it cools enough, its the inbuilt thermal protection doing its thing. If it were overheating you would see slowness of the system and generally excessive fan noise as its running faster trying to cool.

1st - When it restarts - Does it simply Crash / Shutdown or go through the restart process (as if you told it to restart - with the restarting message) ?

2nd - look in the event Viewer at the exact time the restarts happen - anything out of the ordinary / Warnings etc ?

3rd - In search type in Reli - Open View Reliability History -- Again where its restarted look for any errors or warnings ?

4th - Is windows completely upto date ( manually run windows updates ) sometimes there are updates and windows will restart when its inactive OR there are stuck updates ?

5th - Any new programs installed , removed or other alterations taken place then this started happening ?

6th - What if anything has been changed and it started ?

7th - Could simply be corruptions -- Open a command Prompt as admin, type in sfc /scannow <Press Enter> let it run, regardless of if it finds anything, then run the following command dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth <Press Enter>

What you have to determine is is it a software or hardware problem.

If you suspect its a driver - you can try starting in safe mode - and see if it still happens, if not its software. No point in hardware testing if that's all OK.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-06-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    . with no blue screen. Simply restarts - seemingly after about 15/20 mins of inactivity.
    Settings in the Startup and Recovery section.
    Remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, and then click OK.

If you haven't done that, it won't give you a crash message. Do that first.

Is it hot? CHeck temps in bios when it does restart...
    Ex-pctek

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

PCTEK might be onto something.... might need to re-apply thermal paste....Restart after a few minutes of inactivity and no blue screen could be indicative of this.

If it was OS or software related you would see the "Something went wrong" screen which is enabled by default.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    PCTEK might be onto something.... might need to re-apply thermal paste....Restart after a few minutes of inactivity and no blue screen could be indicative of this.

If it was OS or software related you would see the "Something went wrong" screen which is enabled by default.
    No, not always...if you haven't disabled that auto restart you can get that. I always disabled it, on new builds, and all PCs I fixed, whether it was relevant to what I was fixing or not. It was a PITA.
    Ex-pctek

Is it under warranty ?
    PC or a laptop ?

If its restarting for no reason , its usually hardware .
    There usually wont be any usefull info in the Windows log files , just logs related to unexpected restart etc.
    Try moving the RAM to other spare slots . Remove some of the RAM as a test . If you wiggle the ram slightly does that cause a hard restart

worth a try , dont think it will help though
    Look in the Windows Update history , to see if theres any history of updates or failed updates . Updates can cause restarts , unlikely though.
    Run Bluescreenveiw
    disable all power saving - fast start, hybernate , sleep .
    Sometimes certain keyboard combo presses can trigger sleep/restart (look in control panel,power )

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Many thanks everyone, we tested lots of the ideas you suggested. In the end it certainly seems to have been the Samsung SSD, which it seems is exceedingly rare. It is only 13 months old, so will be taking it back under the 5 year warranty. Now have a 465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB, which is really fast - about 3000.
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 °C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Not so rare, I used to find a high rate of failure with Samsung HDDs.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Not so rare, I used to find a high rate of failure with Samsung HDDs.
    SSD's are now vastly more reliable , Samsung SSD arnt as bad as the old Samsung HDD's . More of a Premium Brand now .

I think Ive had 3 SSDs faulting (but not dead) in customers PC's over the last 3 years . Not as easy to confirm a SSD is failing though , Ive had to take a guess (gut feeling) & replace them hoping that was the issue .

Even HDD's seem to have a different fail modes now. More commonly : Failing they get slower and slower and slower to the Point the PC/laptop is barely usable yet that HD still passes all HD tests .
    Last edited by 1101; 23-06-2021 at 08:56 AM.