Default Smart Radio in Our Motorhome

We have a rather clever radio in our German built motorhome. We listen to two stations that are nation wide but, of course, they are on different frequencies up and down the country. Previously, on our car radio - not a smart radio - we had to retune to another frequency as we moved around the country. I had a list of the frequencies and as it faded on one frequency I would tune it for the area we were in. That worked alright but was a bit of a mission - but if I wanted to listen to the radio that's what I had to do.

Now, with the smart radio, all we need do is tune to one of the station's frequencies and the radio will display the name of the station, and once it is in the radio it looks for another station with that name when the first frequency fades and then simply retunes and we don't even notice the change - it's seamless.

Is this something that is common? I had never heard of it until we bought our motorhome about 10 years ago and wondered if it was something that other people had in their cars.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Smart Radio in Our Motorhome

Never heard of it. Bloody good idea though.

I've been watching a ton of RV'ing videos on YT. Cruising around North America in an RV is a bucket-list thing.

I Believe it's part of the RDS system and I've heard of it but none of my car stereos ever supported it. Not all nz stations use it either I think. I notice some cars now display the name of the station and sometimes the song which I think is also RDS.
    According to google some nz stations started using it in the early 2000's
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

RDS was in use in England over 20 years ago basically it overrides whatever you are listening to with traffic reports etc if turned on. It certainly didn't back then display station names but could have been updated to do that by now.

We have just been away in our motorhome and I have just been reminded of another thing that the smart radio does:

I said that while travelling the radio changes automatically to the next frequency, but I forgot to mention that if you have the radio switched off while travelling, then switch it on at another location, it will automatically do a search for the station that you last listened to, but is now out of range, and will look for the next signal in the area that you have moved to. Takes a minute or two and saves you going and looking for it yourself. Very clever.:thumbs

We have an automatic radio in our family room. At least, that's what SWMBO thinks. She says "I should turn the radio to xxx station" On hearing those words, the automatic station changer gets up and does it, then returns to his seat.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    We have an automatic radio in our family room. At least, that's what SWMBO thinks. She says "I should turn the radio to xxx station" On hearing those words, the automatic station changer gets up and does it, then returns to his seat.

Ken
    Very good, Ken.

That's very similar to when I was a kid. I was the remote for our TV.