curmudgeon

Default Malwarebytes & Ghostery

I have just got myself a new laptop and I am in the process of installing new apps while reducing the number I had on my previous computer. I have a lifetime licence to Malwarebytes premium, is it worthwhile continuing or is Malwarebytes just another piece of bloatware these days. Likewise I have previously used the Ghostery extension with Opera, but I am thinking maybe the built in adblocker in Opera is sufficient. Any thoughts anyone!

Default Re: Malwarebytes & Ghostery

Opera has it's own built in ad blocker
    Don't think Ghostery is needed

A good question re Malwarebytes Premium
    I have had it for 4 or 5 years now (since being attacked by Ransomware)

The thing is does it work against the newest attacks
    Eg The Colonial Pipelines, Waikato Hospital

If the ransomwares can get into those big companies what hope do I have of protecting myself?
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

curmudgeon

I have investigated Malwarebytes further and it appears to have grown into a full blown anti virus program, which at this stage most reviewers rate it so-so. I have decided not to install it but to use the built in windows program which appears to work well though the firewall tends to be a bit obstructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    A good question re Malwarebytes Premium
    I have had it for 4 or 5 years now (since being attacked by Ransomware)

If the ransomwares can get into those big companies what hope do I have of protecting myself?
    Often its due to Budgets and not spending the $$ on having the best protection you can get. IT security is often classed as a "she'll be right" setup, its not till something happens and it costs , lets say a LOT more, that its looked at more as a need.

Andrew Little made the comment on the Breakfast show
    Little said one question a review could answer is whether the DHB system was configured as well as it could have been.
    Think we all know the answer to that without an investigation

As one sentence on an article says
    Ransomware attacks involve getting a piece of software into a network, so it can be activated to do things such as delete files, encrypt files, or transfer data off the network.
    Now all this on some big places doesn't happen in seconds, often it can be there for days or weeks (or longer) just waiting for the "trigger" to be sent.

Think about it -- if records were uploaded to where ever, the GB's / TB's it would take would take some time, so why wasn't it noticed ?? (answers above).

I was reading one article where a some big Business was getting hits all the time from outside sources, it got so bad that the servers logs would be filling drives due to their sizes, so what did they do ?? Turn off logging - problem solved --

Many places don't install known security updates or run outdated software that's easy to gain access. Take Microsoft for example - The updates that come through regularly, most are security patches /updates closing know bugs that appear.

A lot is caused by human interactions, opening emails, clicking on links etc.

Got one persons Laptop here now, he claims he got "hacked" after getting a phone call.

As I said often its caused by people opening things they get told to or install software, that's how these scammers get in - NO NO NO he says nothing like that , well on opening his browser what's the fist page that opens ? A web based remote access page -- Yeah he let them in. NOW his bank accounts have been frozen, and I have to give a Letter to the bank (and police) saying I have wiped his drive, reinstalled a clean OS and made sure there's no infection there before they will reopen it.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-06-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tutaenui View Post
    I have investigated Malwarebytes further and it appears to have grown into a full blown anti virus program, which at this stage most reviewers rate it so-so. I have decided not to install it but to use the built in windows program which appears to work well though the firewall tends to be a bit obstructive.
    Yes I have always like Malware Bytes, but as you say they are offering me other services, which I do not want.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

SWMBO uses Windows 7, tried to get her on to W10, and Mint, but no go!
    I have a lifetime copy of Malwarebytes and installed it on her computer a couple of years ago. So far there hasn't been a problem. She only uses it for Email & News, so doesn't visit shonky sites.

Common sense is the best protection. Dont do stupid things & thats 90% .

you cant protect against human stupidity (or human error) .
    Click that email link, re-use your company password on various websites . Staff often have a dont care attitude .
    Even top level management can & do cause the malware attacks (seen it) .

I use, and like Malwarebytes. There's various Youtube videos of guys testing it against hundreds of malwares, and it does a good job.

As for Ghostery, I used to use it, but then Malwarebytes introduced a similar function (Browser Guard) which integrated into the browser, and it seemed to do a better job than Ghostery, so I dumped Ghostery, and all has been good (using Firefox as the browser). It's blocking Ads/Malware/Scams/Trackers/PUPs... 9 of them on this PF1 page currently.

?
    No.

That was caused by some twit actually clicking on an email link.

Gmail is pretty good at detecting dodgy attachments and removing or flagging them....but it comes down to common sense in those situations.
    I can go into my gmail and if I was so dumb, actually try and run one....

You see?

Stick with NOD32, and gmail and you'll be fine....so long as you also use common sense.

As for ransomware. Make an image of your system partition, and back up your data regularly, and then, should you have run a rnasomware, restore it back and who cares...
    Have to say the way Linux separates system and programs, and the way it backs up is great for 10 min restoires all back 100% how it was.
    Far better than Windows methods.
    Ex-pctek