Banned

Default Just So We're Clear

I received the following in an email recently and, I'm afraid, I have to concur:

"JUST SO WE'RE CLEAR . . .

I never cared that you were Gay or Transexual until you started shoving it down my throat.

I never cared what colour you were until you started blaming me for your personal problems.

I never cared about your political affiliation until you started condemning me for mine.

I never really cared where you were born until you wanted to erase my history and blame my ancestors for your life failures.

I never even cared if your beliefs were different from mine until you said my beliefs were wrong.

Now I care . . . my patience and tolerance are gone! And I'm not alone in feeling like this.

Just know that there are hundreds and millions of us who feel the same way."

And that's been very true right from my childhood. We new that girls were different from boys because girls had long hair and wore dresses, boys had short hair and wore shorts. We never knew that they were sexually different - or even cared - until some of the older boys told us of the difference.

We never knew that the moari boys and girls were any different from us white boys and girls. They were just our brown mates. We never questioned why their skin was brown. We just accepted that they were our friends. They spoke just the same as us and liked and disliked the same things as us. It was not until we grew up and were told that the maoris were different. Up until then we just accepted them as one of us. It was the adults who told us about apartheid.

Default Re: Just So We're Clear

So true Roscoe. You have been thinking deeply again. One thing you forgot re the difference between girls and boys is....... Girls go backwards when we dance. Very important!

Ken

kenj, and it was never the girls who tripped up.

You couldn't beat those 1950/60's dances either, great times.

"Trip the light fantastic" was the phrase.

lurking.

Used to go to a dance hall in Mt Eden Rd in the late 50s early 60s. Can't remember the name? "Herma Keil and the Keil Isles" ? used to play there. Great days!! Sometimes we would all pile into someone's car after the place closed and drive to Mt. Maunganui, sleep in the car and then spend the day swimming till we drove back late afternoon.

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 23-06-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

I never cared that you were Gay or Transexual until you started shoving it down my throat.

I never cared what colour you were until you started blaming me for your personal problems.

I never cared about your political affiliation until you started condemning me for mine.

I never really cared where you were born until you wanted to erase my history and blame my ancestors for your life failures.

I never even cared if your beliefs were different from mine until you said my beliefs were wrong.

Now I care . . . my patience and tolerance are gone! And I'm not alone in feeling like this.

Just know that there are hundreds and millions of us who feel the same way."
    And I bet this was a prejudicial thing.
    I suppose they mean I don't care so long as you keep secret, don't try and marry (gay) each other, don't want to speak your own language in your own country, don't protest the treatment you get for having been on the losing side of the past land war etc.
    Right?
    Ex-pctek

Too PC (not computer ) Piroska. There were lots of injustices from all sides -think Poll Tax -. most Indians and Chinese foe example seemed to be able to retain their own language (speaking it at home) - if not allowed at school. My wife (Cantonese Chinese) was given a "white European " name for school use(by the school). When I first met her i thought her Chinese name was essay to say but like my surname it has regularly been misused (multiple versions) Somehow she has coped and is not a lifetime grievance person.,
    These days I think the term racist is vastly overused in many cases as an attempt to excuse poor behaviour-tell off an employee -"you are racist).
    I also feel we are getting too many Govt created positions (at high salaries)- a commissioner for this, another commissioner for that which i feel create more PC type behaviours (and I do not mean the Race Relations Commissioner (Meng Foon) whom I have met
    Study history in depth -multiple viewpoints-often in disagreement.. FYiI Hone Heke cut down the flagpole but he also met Queen Victoria and complied the first dictionary -Maori/English .- a great man

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superpatriot-fark.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	10967
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

Patriotism: 'the last refuge of a scoundrel'
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kenj if it was the same dance hall it was called The Crystal Palace. I recall going there in 19721. Other such dance halls were Surf Side, Milford and Oriental Ballroom Symonds St.
    I never went to the Orange Ballroom in Newton Rd but i think it was a major venue in 1950s - Bill Kalesi etc.
    When I was living in Tauranga I used to go to the Scottish Country dances (Gay Gordons , Dashing White Sergeant etc ) which had a circuit of about 4 different venues.
    In those days none sold alcohol

Yes!!! Thank you Neil. The Orange was the other one. Geez, that's going back in time. It was till 1963 that I was at those places. Then I went to Napier in June of that year, Met SWMBO and ended up staying there.

Ken