Thread: Total AV

Default Total AV

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

Old guy

Default Re: Total AV

I would not touch it. There has to be a catch somewhere.

You'd be a idiot to install that rubbish. It's nothing more than malware itself.

You can read all the so called "Reviews" but what some report is PAID content.

As per a trusted Site - MalwareBytes:
    TotalAV is a potentially unwanted program marketed as a system optimizer. These so-called “system optimizers” use exaggerated scan results or sometimes even intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have problems. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these problems.
    PUP.Optional.PCProtect is usually installed by users themselves under false pretences and can be downloaded from their website:
    Seen this countless times - all these so called infections it detects -- YEAH RIGHT. ITS the infection creating false positives.

Bet if you installed it it will report you have infections.

Ex-pctek

Thanks guys.

My guts told me it was crap

"If Fawlty Towers is now being removed by the BBC then humour is dead. The puritans are winning because the establishment is weak and has no self confidence."

Nigel Farage@Nigel_Farage· Jun 12

Just adding to my post above:

Just loaded up Windows Sandbox -- In case you're no to sure what that is, its a Temp Virtual Machine separate to the main OS, so it cant do any damage, Its main use is for testing in Windows 10. You can't reboot it, and not worth saving anything as each time it shuts down it wipes everything, so when you start it its like a fresh install of Windows.

Installed Total AV-- Found 12 infections ?? REALLY ??

Then downloaded and installed the Trial of the well known and trusted program Malwarebytes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MalwareBytes.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	10944

The Free version of Total AV does NOT have active protection, neither are most of the Options - They require you to buy the program -- OH what a surprise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Total AV 1.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	10945

Also the free version pops up with messages all the time advising you to buy the paid versions ( this is what Malware does)

"IF" its installed, its quite a bit of work to get it out fully.

Apart from What I did -- Close the Sandbox (VM) zingggggggg all gone every trace

Just the style of that add immediately made me think it was bullshit. I'd never buy anything that used those kind of add tactics, clearly fake reviews and an unsubstantiated "millions of users" claim, screenshots and icons of reviews from sites I've never heard of...
    Wouldn't matter if this was real, I'd never use it. My first response if anything like this tempts me is to google looking for legit reviews like Piroska linked.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Just loaded up Windows Sandbox -- a Temp Virtual Machine separate to the main OS, so it cant do any damage, Its main use is for testing in Windows 10. You can't reboot it, and not worth saving anything as each time it shuts down it wipes everything, so when you start it its like a fresh install of Windows.

There's a sandbox for Linux. I used it....you use as normal and it all works and looks normal...but uploading anything takes a bit of work around. It doesn't just keep things from getting in, it's also picky about how things get out.
    Great program.
    Ex-pctek