Default Guide to multihoming home network

So my house has two internet connections available to it. One was our main one (fast) and the other was a backup (very slow) when the main one went down (which was fairly often). The backup one has recently been upgraded so it's also a reasonable speed, so now I've been looking into whether it's practical and cost effective to set up a multihoming network (one network, two internet connections).

So I'm wondering if anyone has any links to good easy to understand guides to setting up a network in this way. I have heard that it's not really a great solution for a home, better to just allocate different devices to different routers/internet connections... This is what we're kinda currently doing but it makes some internet network functionality not work because, well, the devices are on completely different networks.

Any tips?

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Default Re: Guide to multihoming home network

afaik you can't twin the two networks without an isp being cable of doing that.
    back in dailup days a certain isp unofficially had that feature where you could run two dailup connections together.

the other way is auto switching which some modems etc have. i have an asus one that you can run two internet connections and it will auto swap when one goes down.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    afaik you can't twin the two networks without an isp being cable of doing that.
    I'm on two different ISPs, one of them is not my account (provided by the property our house is on).

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    the other way is auto switching which some modems etc have. i have an asus one that you can run two internet connections and it will auto swap when one goes down.
    That could be a nice option, I'll look into that. My initial desire was to make use of extra bandwidth or speed automatically, but this could be an acceptable alternative.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

There are a couple of options here but the the most straight forward is the dual WAN router option.

These can be pricey and you may need to do some careful research on how the dual port implementation works (I've seen some where you have to give up DMZ functionality to make use of the dual WAN feature), number of ports available for LAN, throughput speed, any additional licensing (primarily those which offer a UTM feature), wi-fi capability and other things such as printer and USB sharing.

Remember that for the most part this type of setup is not associated with your average home user so in most cases your standard consumer grade hardware is not going to cut it which case it may also mean you would have to potentially "bolt on" other pieces of kit to get your preferred.

If you're going down this path, look at non-consumer grade offerings such as small business products from Ubiquiti, Cisco, Zyxel, Draytek etc.

Another quick and dirty fix is setup a separate firewall device with 2 interfaces on it, one for each ISP and then set the metric of one router's IP to 1 and the other to 10. That way the firewall will prioritize traffic to the link with the highest metric first and if it goes down will route the traffic to the one with a metric of 10.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wi-fi
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
    WD 512GB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    WD 1TB M.2 PCI-E 4 NVMe
    Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
    Corsair RMx 850W